Mighty deals scam

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
I bought a phone on mighty deals, reconditioned grade a/b. It took over 2 weeks to arrive despite paying £9:99 pp for delivery within 7 days and then after lots of emails I finally recieved the item. The phone is really scratched/dented and the screen had obviously been changed but very badly with gaps all around the edges and pressure damage. The headphone socket is also damaged. Certainly not grade a/b. After contacting mighty deals for a refund and not hearing anything I decided to go through PayPal who I paid with to see if I could get a response through them. I haven't heard anything through PayPal but have heard back from mighty deals who forwarded my email on to the people they sold the phone though. After several emails they have now asked to email this other company privately which sounds a bit weird. Do I do this or continue to go through PayPal? After reading more reviews than I did before I brought the phone it sounds like they are very big at scamming and people send the phone back and never receive any refunds
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jls103

File a paypal dispute for 'item received but not as described' > put in what has happened and escalate to a claim.

DO NOT close the claim whatever the seller says and do not send it back until paypal tells you to do so AND the address to send it to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
Shall I just keep all emails through PayPal now and not email them directly?
Login to Me Too

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your help this is turning out to be quite stressful
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jls103

You can email the seller via the dispute when you have opened it. Make sure you put that as they cannot complete the order that you requested you should not be penalised for having to cancel that order and you request a full refund as they cannot send the item that you ordered.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
They sent the phone eventually it's just extremely damaged
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jls103

Then file 'received but not as described' > put in all the info > escalate to a claim and wait for paypal to tell you to return it and the address to return it to so you have buyer protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
Brilliant thanks
Login to Me Too

lomein95
New Community Member

I had this problem with an iphone too! I escalated it and they decided against me because it was against the policy of use of paypal *are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants,*

Did you have a different response? Furious and don't know what to do. £245 down the drain and a broken phone.

Login to Me Too

Jls103
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I did. I went all through PayPal sending messages to mightydeals (they never responded) but I continued to process and eventually got sent by PayPal an address to send the phone back. I paid to have it sent back and then got my money back via PayPal. I took lots of photos of the phone too. Definitely worth trying to dispute it. Good luck!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.