Learned a hard lesson today (Scammed)

Farsight

Well i am very new to using paypal and online services. Today i learned a hard lessong about the integrity of online buy and selling. I bought a good today and the buyer asked me to send as friends and family payment. In my naive and noobie experience at this thing i happily agreed and obliged them. So i pranced right on over to my PayPal account and sent them the money... then... my innocent and naive outlook on life shattered instantly got blocked on skype, no emails back nothing total communication silence. its been 5 hours now and nothing. So i went onto PayPal and searched these very forums. Turns out there's nothing PayPal can do because it was friends and family payment. The amount came directly out of my PayPal balance and not a credit card. Thanks whoever you were dude... you've taken my innocense.. I'm, just happy it wasn't for very much... now i will never pay with friends and family again...

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Farsight

To be honest the clue is in the name  ''friends and family''. If they were not close mates or family members then why would you choose that option?

Its also against paypal rules to send a goods payment that way and paypal may limit your paypal account if you continue to use it which of course you won't now anyway as it was a mistake.

There are loads of online scams so when in doubt come and ask first, also read up on ''buyer protection'', paypal provide it but you have to know that you qualify for it when you buy items.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Adam2017
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Farsight

Sorry to hear your first experience with PayPal was a bad one. I would recommend you email or call us so we can report the sellers activity. If they are knowingly doing this it is against the PayPals T+Cs and sometimes more can be done when reviewing the situation on the call. Make sure to speak with the Limitations team.

Please call us on 0800 358 7911

Thanks

Adam

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.