LIght in the box

alba1954
Contributor
Contributor

Hello 

Looking for some advice .. I ordered items from a company called Light in the Box and now feel that I am being ripped off .. they did not say that there would be custom payments to be made at the point of purchase even although I paid for shipping and insurance cover ... I have now contacted the company three times and although they are happy to take my money I cannot get a response from them. 

Is it possible to raise my concerns with paypal in order to get my payment back from them .. 

Any advice would be most appreciated .. 

Regards

Alba1954

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alba1954

Sellers are not responsible for your customs charges, you are responsible for importing items into your country.

If you buy from a shop abroad and then get charged customs charges at the airport then you would not expect that shop to have told you about it would you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

alba1954
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Kudos 

Actually I do expect them to make me aware of that I could be liable for the custom charges as I was of the understanding that the insurance charge made was to cover this aspect of the purchase.  

I hold my hands up and say I was not aware of my responsibility in this aspect .. I have purchased things from USA, Canada, France, Spain and not come across this before .. I do feel that the company has a responsibility to make you aware of such charges .. as I say I have not experienced this before when buying from abroad. 

However, thank you for your reply it is appreciated. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alba1954

LOL my name is kernowlass not kudos, kudos is what you press to say thank you to someone if they have helped you.

Unfortunately it would be impossible for a seller to know the customs requirements of every country in the world.

That is your responsibility as you are importing the item into your country.

Your seller probably may not even know that your government charges customs fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

alba1954
Contributor
Contributor

Hello kernowlass

See what I mean .. I am new to all this sort of thing .. I normally just select items, pay with my paypal and await delivery .. as I say I have never had this situation before .. it is a company in China .. now I am wishing I had gone by my gutt instincts and not ordered but had a grandchild desperate for this fancy unicorn onesy .. 

as for the Kudos sorry about that . .yet anoth blip on my part .. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alba1954

Tell me about it, don't we do anything to make sure our grand-children get things they want.

Doting grandparents hey   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Farreld
Contributor
Contributor
Despite countless emails to light in the box and PayPal I am without 2 items worth €100. Light in the box is a fraudulent website and PayPal allows them to trade. PayPal you are an utter disgrace and your customer service is a total disgrace
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Farreld

Well this forum is not paypal.

Did you open a dispute for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described?

Because their buyer protection is not a disgrace.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal community.

When buyers pay with PayPal on any website, PayPal Buyer Protection covers them in case there is a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund.

To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection:

• Use PayPal to complete your payment.
  • Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Centre within the timeframe noted in the transaction details. If you can't resolve the issue with the seller, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
  • Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

If your transaction qualifies for PayPal Buyer Protection you are covered for the full purchase price plus the original shipping charges.

You can report your problem in the PayPal Resolution Centre or the eBay Resolution Centre. Either way, you’ll receive the same coverage. To find out how to report a problem on eBay, go to eBay and click Resolution Centre at the bottom of any page.

Please note that some purchases such as vehicles in the Motors category, industrial machinery used in manufacturing and Real Estate aren't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

To learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection and to see a full list of eligibility requirements and exclusions, please review our User Agreement. You can find the User Agreement by clicking Legal at the bottom of any PayPal page.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

baldric131

Hi mate,

i also have used light in the box be gratefull you got your items i did not though they have been replying to myself saying its delivered even showing me the prove on the track site.

Have told them so many times the postcode that it was delivered to was not mine yet they keep saying to me please wait for delivery cos of xmas ect now they are going on its delivered even though its not.

Have opened up a dispute with paypal but everytime they talk to me its though there own site not via paypal.

Id have to say to anyone else not to use this site as they are so hard to deal with if you get a problem

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.