It cost me 16 dollars to do a refund through a paypal case. Is that right?

Jaynee2
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a vinyl disc on Discogs for 360 dollars and paypal paid me 343.86 dollars converted to UK pounds.  The buyer wasn't happy with the purchase so returned the disc to me and at my suggestion opened a case with paypal as I wanted it to be an official refund.  The case was closed and Paypal refunded the 360 dollars to the buyer.  I still had to pay the 16.14 dollar fee.  Is that what should have happened??

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome tot he PayPal Community.

If you issue a refund the fee is cancelled, however if we reverse the payment the fee is not cancelled as the service was still provided. Hope this helps.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Jaynee2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't answer my query. I agreed to do a refund with the buyer as soon as he said he wasn't happy with the record (he offered me 70 dollars for a 360 dollar record).I was told on an online forum that I had to do it through paypal as if I directly refunded the buyer, he would be charged to have the money into his account.  So I told the buyer to open a case and told paypal straight away to do a full refund.  As far as I understand it, I shouldn't be charged.  I can't see how I could have done a refund without going through paypal, if you follow my reasoning??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.