How long will my refund take to clear?

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Here’s how to view the status of your refund:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Activity and locate the refund.
  3. Select the refund to open the 'Transactions Details' page.
  • If you paid with a card, your payment will be refunded to your card. (It may take up to 30 days depending on your bank)
  • If you paid with your bank account or PayPal balance, your payment will be refunded to your PayPal balance

Here are definitions for your refund’s status:

• ‘Completed’: Your refund has been credited to your account
  • ‘Pending’: Your seller has initiated the refund but the money has not yet cleared. The refund will appear as ‘completed’ as soon as the money posts to your account. This process can take up to 7 working days to complete
  • ‘Canceled’: The refund could not be completed. Contact the seller for more information
  • 'Placed' and 'Removed': These statuses refer to the temporary hold on a payment rather than the payment itself. A hold is placed on a payment (eg when a refund is pending) and is later removed when the payment either completes or is cancelled. When checking the status of your refund you should refer to the original payment, not the hold

The original payment’s status will show whether the payment has been refunded:

• ‘Refunded’: The entire original payment was credited to your account
  • ‘Partially Refunded’: Part of the original payment was credited to your account

Thanks,

Lucy

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

stayUK
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue here. But I've been given two refunds from the same online store, my first partial refund was processed through paypal and credit to my credit card the same day, woohoo. However after a month of waiting for a replacement item from the online store we decided on a further refund and therfore concluding our business. the refund was issued in to paypal, it's been over a week and it still hasn't show up on my credit card.

So how can it be that one is processed same day and the other smaller amount is to possibly take 30days. It may not be that Paypal is making interest on this money, as they've said they can't, but my credit card company is certianly making interest on the funds not showing as crediti on my account.

Consumers don't want floating funds, we use paypal as a safety measure and don't need the added hassle of having to monitor accounts here and there to see if payment have come back.

If paypay pay the money instantly to the store before they deducte from our card/banks then they should do the same on reversal of refunds and treat the consumer with the same du-diligence as they do the supplier.

Login to Me Too

Sym8olo
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem,

I use a debit card account to fund my paypal account and made the original purchase on the 23rd.  The company accidentally refunded me the £39.95 onto my paypal acct, which I could see there, but not on my bank account.  They contacted me to apologise and asked me for repayment. I repayed them on the 24th to ensure swift delivery the following day (on a day I'd be in), but 6 days later the refund has not shown yet on my bank account.   More confusingly the bank account shows 2 payments on the 28th of £39.95.  

Hopefully it will just be a week and I'll see the refund come in tomorrow on the 31st. Smiley Frustrated

Login to Me Too

Sym8olo
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at the patterns of other purchases I guess the payments take 3 working days to appear on the account, refunds a bit longer.  

Login to Me Too

kgeorgie
New Community Member
hey, i'm from Tanzania. i made a payment on eBay via Paypal and was refunded for the goods were counterfeit. the refund status says completed yet it has been more than a month since it noted that. i have had 3 like refunds but the money doesn't appear on my debit card! i'm going to check with my bank tomorrow but most probably the problem would be with the transfers!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi kgeorgie,

I am sorry for this inconvenience. The refund should usually appear in your card account within 5-7 working days of the refund date but depending on your card issuer it could take as long as 30 days. I would suggest checking the date of the refund by looking at your PayPal account and add 30 working days on it, if you still can’t locate the refund on your card statement please do contact us for further help.

You can contact us by email or by phone.

To contact us by email:

1. Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click Contact near the bottom of the page.
  3. Click Email us and follow the on-screen instructions. (Even if you're unable to log into your PayPal account, you can still send us a question. Under 'Unable to log in?' click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions).

We'll try to get back to you within 24 hours.

To contact us by phone:

Please call us for free on 0800 358 7911. We're open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday, from 8am to 9pm on Saturday and from 9am to 9pm on Sunday. Otherwise, you can call the Dublin Help Centre directly on 00353 1 436 9004. Rates from overseas landlines and mobiles may vary.

Thanks for posting!

Arda

Login to Me Too

jaxchristian68
New Community Member
Threee lines show up on.my activity. Dec 24th charge from card, completed, 400 Dec 30th refund, completed 400 Dec 30th credit to card, completed -400 Total 0 Paypal balance 0 Where is my money? I called the bank no trace of it being applied to my card. So how is this completed? I read it can take up to 30 days. No way to contact paypal. Either money is being refunded or it is not, now.I.wait 30 days and hope it is refunded. My money was taken as soon.as I hit.submit. what bs
Login to Me Too

kotatheninja

but my bank tells me there's no wait for a refund on their end. you guys really need to stop this 30 day lie, its you guys who want the money for 30 days, nothing to do with the bank, the bank says so lol

Login to Me Too

LegalRegal
Contributor
Contributor

Completely agree here. PayPal is lying.  What they ARE doing is holding on to the funds to gain interest payament, however, US banking law reqquires ALL funds be rerurned after credit refunds, so PayPal is "banking" on "Floating" that interest, for as long as they can. Legally, 30 days - no more.

Login to Me Too

OzSkitzo

They can do an instant refund, by why would they, for 30 days they can keep your money in there account collecting intrest,  thousands and thousands of refunds daily =  free profit,

its the same reason banks dont chash cheques instantly, its all about collecting your intrest.

Login to Me Too

LegalRegal
Contributor
Contributor

Every single thing to do you have here , NONE of that happens in real life.

With ONE exception (not listed by you, how odd):

PyPal WILL send you an email as soon as the seller agrees to the refund (sometimes the sellers are in control of the refund), but that is as fast as it gets.

NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CREDIT CARD ISSUER, stop lting paypal and paypal mods, you dont know what you are talking about OR YOU are being lied to. I pick and hope the latter.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.