Funds taken from a card/account *not* registered on PayPal

tian447
New Community Member

Hi,

Got a quick question - I bought something on the PlayStation Store the other day, and forgot to transfer money into the account it was going to be funded from.  This was (rightfully) refused by the bank, and as a result the payment never went through.  PayPal then took the money from another account instead, nice and simple.  

However, this is where it gets odd.  I have one card registered, and one back-up card that the payment should be taken from in the event of money not being in the account.  This card though, was not used and instead it was another account that was used to make the payment.  The account that was used has never been stored in PayPal.  I think that I may have used this in the past to pay for one or two things (at an absolute maximum) on eBay, but the details have never been stored, and it does not appear in my "Bank accounts and cards" section of my account.

How has this happened?  Why have PayPal stored the information for another card, and used that instead of using the backup?

Cheers,

tian447

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_david

Hi there Tian447.

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear what has happened here. If a payment has been refused by your bank, our system would automatically attempt the payment a second time after a few days if the payment has not been resolved.

Our system would only attempt to process the payment from one of the active cards or banks on PayPal. It wouldn't be possible for our system to process the payment from a funding source that is not registered on your PayPal account.

You should check the 'Wallet' page on PayPal to see what funding sources are currently showing on PayPal at this time. This will tell you what card and bank accounts are registered on your PayPal account. You should also check the transaction details page for the payment that was sent through PayPal and this will let you know how the payment was funded.

I hope this helps.

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.