Fees & refunds

Feverdiva

Hi all,

I've just sold sometthing for the first time & used PayPal to get payment.  The buyer is Chinese & sent across the payment no problem, from which PayPal took about £20 in fees, so far so good.  The buyer has then made an additional payment in error from which PayPal has also subtracted a fee.  The buyer is asking me to refund the money which I'm happy to do, but what happens about the fees?  I don't want to end up paying money out for something that wasn't my fault.  Also, should I be suspicious that the buyer is asking me to ship to a hotel in London as opposed to a residential address?  You hear stories all the time of people getting conned and I'm a bit aprehensive!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Feverdiva

When someone pays you the fee of 3.4% + 20p is deducted, when you use the ''refund'' option the 3.4% is refunded back to you BUT paypal keep the 20p as a processing fee to process your refund.

Also you should only send an item to the paypal registered address of the buyer.

Your best bet is to read up on seller protection so you can risk assess your transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Feverdiva

When someone pays you the fee of 3.4% + 20p is deducted, when you use the ''refund'' option the 3.4% is refunded back to you BUT paypal keep the 20p as a processing fee to process your refund.

Also you should only send an item to the paypal registered address of the buyer.

Your best bet is to read up on seller protection so you can risk assess your transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Feverdiva

Thank you!  I was a bit concerned about the whole sending to a hotel thing, but the guy said he was just visiting.....I have an email string from him confirming the address he wants mee to use & he's also put it in the detail section on his payment but do you think I should just refuse the sale?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Feverdiva

Even if you sent the item trackable and proved he got it with a signature you would still lose any dispute he opened for non receipt of item as the tracking number has to show that that item was delivered to the registered paypal address of the buyer.

He could have hacked someones paypal account and getting you to send the item elsewhere and then when the account holder files an unauthorised transaction dispute you would have to re-pay the cash.

I don't work for paypal but as a seller myself I would never send to an addy not linked to the buyers paypal account, too many scammers out there.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Feverdiva

thank you, good advice-I'll contact him and let him know!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.