Charged twice by paypal

ginevra-davey
New Community Member

Hi

I have been charged twice by paypal for the same item.  The seller has only received one payment.  Where do I go from here?

Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

SteveZ21
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, an update. After spending more than one with them on the phone total,(Most of it on Hold) . They finally refunded me the money. Not to my bank card but my Paypal account. I guess thats better than a swift kick in the behind. They finally gave in after I provided a copy of the bank statement showing the double charge. And letting them know I was in constant contact with the seller who said they only got paid once. Alot of time spent, but it was about the principle. I can't help but think of all the people who either don't notice the extra charge or let it go due to the extensive hassle they put you through.

Login to Me Too

Foglet
New Community Member

Well, looks like I will be joining the club as well.

Two transactions, each 23 GBP, for the same item on my bank statement (Jan 20 and Jan 23), only one transaction in PayPal history.

The seller's customer support was super helpful, while PayPal's... wasn't. My report to PayPal has been closed without even looking into the problem too much.

This is not fine.

Login to Me Too

Taran123
I recently bought an item of PayPal for £64 but I also got a payment of 65 because I sold an item. A few days later my bank gets charged £64. I check my Paypal balance to see if this money was added but there was not money. I then knew that I wa charged twice PayPal can you please sort it out
Login to Me Too

Ganesh-Kumar
New Community Member

This happened to me yesterday. I was charged for the same purchase twice by PayPal ($20 each time). My account only shows one transaction and the merchant only received one payment. But my bank statement clearly shows two charges that say "PURCHASE WITH PAYPAL" with a unique transaction ID (the 5-digit ID that PayPal puts next to the name of the charge in your bank statement).

The worst part was PayPal's customer service. The lady I spoke to kept talking in circles and would not admit that it was PayPal's fault. She kept saying that it was either the merchant's fault or that my bank had charged me twice (!!!). All this despite me trying to  explain to her that my bank statement clearly shows PayPal billed me twice.

She proceeded to tell me to take it up with my bank, and that if they didn't help, PayPal would "consider" helping me get my money back. Had I known this sort of thing would happen, I would never have used PayPal; ironically, my reason for using it was to be secure in my online shopping! I've filed a dispute with my bank - let's see what happens. Needless to say, I am "considering" never using PayPal ever again.

Login to Me Too

bidding4item
Contributor
Contributor

HELP: Funds withheld TWICE, but ONLY refunded ONCE.

I'll just post a copy of my message that I sent to PayPal almost two weeks ago, but yet to receive a reply. I'd really appreciate if someone can help.

GRADE A+: Apple iPhone 6 - 16GB - Gold/White (Unlocked), Boxed + Access.£249.99 Item number 332109273891  

Transaction ID:4U127311EU9466213 

The sale was made on the 8th of Feb and a return case was opened on the 22nd Feb, resulting in 'automatically' £249.99 (£240.04) being withheld until the case was resolved. *(This was deducted from my balance on the 22nd of Feb).  

I received the returned phone on the 3rd March and immediately contacted eBay as the motherboard had been swapped out and I provided eBay with clear evidence. I was told a case would be opened and investigated by eBay UK & eBay France experts.  

On the 4th of March my opening balance was +£110 (inc. the money previously withheld on the 22nd of Feb). But after a new case for the very same transaction was opened on my behalf by eBay, ANOTHER £249.99 (£240.04) had been withheld resulting in a negative balance -£130.04 - previously £249.99 (£240.04) had already been withheld from my balance on the 22nd of Feb 

Why has the payment for this same transaction been withheld twice from my balance? (£249.99 (£240.Automatically on the 22nd Feb when the case was opened and £249.99 (£240.04) on the 4th March when 'eBay' opened a case to investigate).  

You surely can't withhold the same payment twice? The hold from the 22nd should've been transferred from the 22nd of Feb to the 4th of March, which would've meant my balance staying exactly the same. If not, then why was a further £249.99 deducted from my balance? Where has it gone?   

I have been refunded the money taken on the 4th of March on the 7th of March as eBay was convinced by my evidence. But where have the funds on hold disappeared from the 22nd of Feb? 

Please can you look in to this ASAP and tell me where the £249.99 on the 22nd of Feb went so that I can provide eBay with the evidence. 

BOTTOM LINE: The hold from the 22nd of Feb should've ben transferred to the 4th of March. I shouldn't have lost a further £249.99 (£240.04) - my balance should've remained the same on the 4th of March as the hold should simply have been transferred. 

Kind Regards 

Login to Me Too

pat67
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has taken 2 lots of money out of my bank account for 1 item rang the seller they have only receievd 1 payment bank say's two payments have come out, i'm out of call it £100 pound i'ts christmass and i have no money in the bank because paypal took it, PayPal wont accept what they have done, I made a claim they shut it down, 

Login to Me Too

t1mdog
Contributor
Contributor

Jumping in on an old thread but cannot find where to submit a new one and using the help line is pointless!

I have the same problem. £32.98 left my paypal on 24/4. £32.98 then left my bank account on 11/5, with reference 'paypal' but no credit showing in my paypal account so I assume the money has gone to the seller. I had fund to cover in my paypal account during this time.

I have contacted the seller to ask, but it seems like paypal issue not there's! what should I do if they have not received the payment so can't refund?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

Adamskione
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, just been charged twice by PayPal (via eBay) Reported to eBay. Obvious error on PayPal's part. But no financial control or responsibility from PayPal for their clearly faulty systems. My charge is £425 gbp per day or part thereof until Paypal resolves its errors. No contact point available from PayPal. No help available from eBay/PayPal.Details with eBay - it's up to you PayPal - see you in court? No response will be accepted other than a refund of the money stolen from me by PayPal plus compensation for my wasted time entirely down to Paypals negligence. Sort yourselves out PayPal🙄👎End.
Login to Me Too

chamgel2

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community.

If you were charged twice then both payments would go to the seller. You can check this in your transaction history. If you need further help please reach out to our customer service by phone or social media.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.