Charged twice by paypal

ginevra-davey
New Community Member

Hi

I have been charged twice by paypal for the same item.  The seller has only received one payment.  Where do I go from here?

Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

garysworks
New Community Member

Yep, same thing happenned to be.

The seller was only paid once, only one transaction on my Paypal activity BUT TWO on my bank statement (the transactions were actually different amounts, which reflects USD to AUD exchange happening on different days, or something . . . ?)

As a result my bank account overdrew, which I found out when I wanted to by fuel 270 kms from home.  I had to ring my sister and use her credit card over the phone (lucky I had that option!).  Also, this was late Friday, so I had no money over the weekend.

• Paypal first claimed absolutely no knowledge of why this could have happenned, blamed my Bank and suggested I ring them.
  • My bank expleined to me that PayPal DO IN FACT CHARGE TWICE- once for "authorisation" and once to make the payment to the merchant.  The bank explained that itis illegal for them to take ANY money from my account without my authorisation, but it seems PayPal can do JUST THAT.
  • Second call to Paypal, where again they claimed no knowledge of this.  When I claffified for her (after going around in circle about one transaction on Paypal activity/but two on bank) that the situation now was that the bank blames Paypal, while Paypal blame the bank (though "blame" is the wrong word apparently), she offered to credit me my bank overdrawn fee.  I explained that the bank had already done this, but the offer from Paypal did suggest they WERE responsible.  Finally, Paypal admitted that this charging twice ( with one transaction later secretly disappearing ) was normal proceedure.  So, stuck away from home, no money for the weekend, email to merchant, their email back, and 47 mins worth of mobile phone calls but PayPal cannot gaurantee that this wont HAPPEN AGAIN.

In fact, a simple "payPal charge twice" Google search shows this has been happenning for at least the last 5 years, Paypal are well aware of it, yet they haven't fixed their proceedure- in other words " We know we systematically, but avoidably, inconvenience our customers but we don't give a $#!^ so there 8P "

Only thing to do now is a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman 😎

Login to Me Too

anova21
New Community Member

Yep, I just discovered I'd been charged twice by PayPal but it's only showing up twice on my bank statement.

Like a few others, I checked my PayPal history and my transaction history on the website I bought the item from (the purchase was made about 2-3 days ago) just in case I had made an error myself...but it only appears once on each site, and twice on my bank statement so the issue does not lie with me personally.

I contacted the product's website not so long ago there informing them that I'd been charged twicer, and filed a complaint to PayPal about it afterwards when I Google searched this issue, discovering the problem likely lay with Paypal, and I referenced that this is apparently a recurrent issue.

Hopefully I'll hear back and it will be hassle free. I'm considering obtaining a debit indemnity form but hopefully I won't need to.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to this.

I'm sorry to hear that there has been more then one charge debited from each of your accounts. Every situation may be different so it would be very hard for us to advise what has happened in each situation.

My best advice for you would be to reach out to us directly so that we can look into this further on your behalf. You can contact us directly through the Contact Us link at the bottom of any PayPal webpage or alternatively, you can try contacting us directly via Twitter @AskPayPal or via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and we can look into this further for you.

Hope this helps.
David.

Login to Me Too

Tadej_T
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I was charged twice by paypal for the same item. The charge is for 159,70GBP, so I'm quite upset.

The seller said they only got one payment.

I reported a problem but only received a pointless e-mail that didn't help at all.

I also contacted paypal through Facebook but got no response.

Where do I go for here?

Login to Me Too

AtifZaheer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was charged twice too. Single transaction on paypal and the seller recieved a single payment too but my bank account was charged twice with the same amount. Whats worse is that I have send them a message but no replies. even after a day has passed.

Really dissappointed.

If anyone can guide me as to how I should report this issue, Id be very greatfull. Calling paypal will be very difficult for me as I live in UAE.

TIA

Login to Me Too

786ra
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal steals money for few days (their software selects random victims) by charging twice. They then invest this stolen money in short term investment schemes and then return the original to avoid law suit for theft while keep the profit. This is well planned fraud/theft by paypal. All those moderators here and paypal representatives "act" as if they don't know about it or give other pretent explanations are actually purposefully decieving us the cusmoters. Paypal and its fraud squad should be sued. They have charnged my twice multiple times. ON paypal transactions ONLY one payment shows (so you can't dispute it) and recievers also recieves one payment yet bank is charged twice by paypal. It is done under the hood so that only those who check their online account daily know paypal is regularly doing this. Its a well planned fraud operation by paypal and I intend to make a detailed on it on youtube. An online petition to expose this is also being considered.

Login to Me Too

OuttaPocket

Happened to me yesterday.  In my case, two transactions at the bank, two transactions in Paypal (for the same ebay item number), and seller only received one payment.

Called ebay.  Waited ages in the queue.  Ebay representative told me that Paypal handle all the payments on ebay, and it is Paypal's fault.

Called Paypal.  Waited ages in the queue.  While I was waiting, I opened an unauthorised activity report on one of the Paypal transactions.  When I eventually got to speak to someone, was told I need to contact the seller because the seller must have been paid twice and the seller will need to do the refund.  The Paypal representative closed my unauthorised activity report right in my face without actually helping one little bit.  Now I cannot open another dispute on that transaction.  Really really nice.  Not.

Called the seller.  No queue!  The seller says they only got paid once.  The seller refuses to do a refund.

Either Paypal or the seller has got twice the money they should have off me, and both are saying "nope - not me mate".

Opened an "item not as described" dispute on the second transaction today.  There's actually nothing wrong with the item, it's just that I've paid twice for it that's annoying me!  I can see I'm going to have to spend hours and hours on this, all the way to the ombudsman.  Marvellous.

Take my advice:  Leave ebay and Paypal alone.  Go buy it on Amazon.

Login to Me Too

arby27
Contributor
Contributor

It is obviously happeneing over & over again - and has been for a long time. Pay pal doesn't care because they are not losing any money - in fact they are making money. I have found the best solution is to avoid Paypal at all costs. They are inept.

Login to Me Too

derekstainsby

so i bought an item from ebay on the 20th of august few hrs later the seller asked if he could refund me as his account was new and it would take ages for the money to reach him he was going to use his g/fs account as it had higher rating and would get the money faster. So all is well refund was sent and i rebought the item from the other account. on the 22nd of august paypal took the money for the original transaction and then on the 24th took the money for the new transaction but not only that they took it twice on the 24th so 3 times the item was paid for price of item was £230 the refund for that is on its way back

but they took £230 twice on the 24th so im down £690 quid £230 of that should go to the seller i know £230 is on its way back but theres £230 lost somewhere between paypal and my bank now paypal are saying that im only owed the original refund thats on its way and refuse to accept i was charged twice for 1 transaction on the 24th i ve even emailed them the bank statement o got from my bank on thursday yet they still wont accept they double charged me.

How can they even do that when theres proof on my statement even the lady in the bank confirmed it as a double charge yet it only shows as 1 charge on my paypal account but on my bank statement it shows two payments for the same transaction to paypal
can anyone help me or offer some advice i ve tried calling multiple times each time i get a different person so got to go through the full story again and again and explain whats happend.
i had to walk 4 mile yesterday to borrow some money of family as my power ran out which wouldent be bad if i didnt have to use a walking stick.

Login to Me Too

SteveZ21
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to list of latest victims charged twice. Bank statement shows twice, paypal shows once. When you call and wait on hold for a while, they tell you that it does not show that on their end and to file a dispute. If it does not end favorably, I will close my paypal account. I shouldn't have to go through all the extra work due to their mistake.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.