Charged twice by paypal

ginevra-davey
New Community Member

Hi

I have been charged twice by paypal for the same item.  The seller has only received one payment.  Where do I go from here?

Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

PayPal_Wayne

Hi ginevra-davey,

If I were you my first think to do would be to get in contact with the seller as they would have received two payments if they are both showing as completed from your account. Once they find the second payment they just need to click a button to return the funds to you.

Failing that you can open a dispute as you have paid for goods you are not going to receive on one of the payments.

To open a dispute on a transaction, please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'Resolution Centre' near the top of the page.
3. You will have the option of:
• Clicking the ‘Dispute a Transaction’ button, or
• Clicking the heading ‘Report a Problem’ and then clicking the ‘Report a Problem’ button.
4. Select ‘Item dispute’ and click ‘Continue’.
5. Click the 'Find transaction ID'. A new window displays your transaction history.
6. Click the ‘Transaction ID' you want to dispute.
7. Click ‘Continue’ and follow the instructions.

I hope this information helps you

Wayne

Login to Me Too

ashleypeace
New Community Member

Wayne,

The same thing has happened to me. I bought an item on eBay and paid for it through PayPal. The seller has only received one payment, my PayPal account shows only one transaction, but my bank account shows PayPal withdrew funds TWICE - they have duplicated the transaction.

I followed your steps but PayPal won't take it further because the transaction is already complete, but suggested I take it up with the seller. I have already contacted the seller, and he has only received ONE payment.

PayPal has made a mistake. How do I get my money back?

Login to Me Too

looneylounge
Contributor
Contributor

This has happened to me today, its showing on bank statement twice but only on paypal once, phoned them and they said to email the details so I have and waiting for a reply back, £16 is a lot of money to be taken twice for nothing, I phoned the bank they cant do anything as its a direct debit from paypal and also the person I paid has only recieved the money once, hope it gets sorted asap

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Your  bank can do something, ring them and tell them you wish to claw back the second payment under the direct debit indemnity scheme, go in fill in a form and the money will be back in your bank account within 24 hours, if it does not show on your paypal transaction history, paypal cannot help.

Login to Me Too

looneylounge
Contributor
Contributor

I have had an email this morning saying it was paypal error and will be refunding the payment

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey guys,

Yeah there was an issue with payments on the evening of the 19th of October being sent twice from the bank account and only showing once in your PayPal account.

Please check here on this thread as it explains the issue in detail.

Login to Me Too

Stover-amy
Contributor
Contributor
I'm writing this on behalf of my partner who recently has just purchased something for £139.99 on eBay paying via PayPal the transaction went through successfully but today has realised there is another transaction for same amount pending to leave his account referenced PayPal we have contacted his bank who have confirmed it is indeed a second payment of same amount due to go out to PayPal we have contacted PayPal who were very unhelpful due to the fact the transaction has only shown up once on to his payment account and said they would send a confirmation e-mail and he has not received anything via e-mail and noting the seller only received the one payment. Could anyone give me some advice?
Login to Me Too

JasonLueng
New Community Member

This happened to me too. I made a booking on airbnb with paypal . paypal charged me twice with $1903.45 each time. AND MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS STILL SHOWING -$1903.45 AND WHEN I TRY TO CONTACT PAYPAL NO ONE PICK UP THE PHONE!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Internetlost
Contributor
Contributor
I have several over several months! There has to be something seriously wrong here.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.