Cancelled payments

Gingogringo
Contributor
Contributor
Can anyone shed some light on this one - bought a mobile from eBay - tried to pay seller twice via PayPal - ended up having to cancel both payments as they were both pending - to cut a very long story short - His email address was wrong - so I paid him directly using PayPal to his correct email - Now my bank account is down by 2 x 140 pounds due to cancelling the transactions - and marked as hold / pending on my account - does anyone know when that will be returned to my bank account - it's a lot of money for me to be missing - please help
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were able to cancel a payment it means the seller made a mistake with the email address on their auction and could not accept your payment.

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment (as the seller can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you were able to cancel a payment it means the seller made a mistake with the email address on their auction and could not accept your payment.

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment (as the seller can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.