Cancelled a Payment, but didn't receive the money.

ViiP3R
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Yesterday I sent money to one of my friends. I found out after that I had send it to the wrong email address, but the account was unverified and he did not accept it. So, I Cancelled the payment, however, it told me the money was credited to my credit card, but I have not received the money. The money has already gone out of my credit card, and has not been returned.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes still takes a few days to go back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When you pay or send a payment to someone it is never instant > paypal credit that person for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

So when you cancel that payment (as they can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ViiP3R
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It say's completed next to the refund rather than "Pending" and I still haven't received it. Does it still have to be processed through PayPal and everything?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes still takes a few days to go back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ViiP3R
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much.

Login to Me Too

Abinet
Contributor
Contributor
I also made payment to wrong address and cancelled immediately. I can see cancel is accepted by Paypal on November 29 but it is not showing up in my Paypal balance but it us still debited on my bank statement. I need to make this payment now how do I know Paypal is not going to make a new Debit!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.