Can't cancel a pending payment - so frustrating.

DavyNix
Contributor
Contributor

Ebay Emailed to notify me that a sellers account had been compromised. Ebay told me to cancel the [pending] payment through paypay.

There is no cancel option in Paypal for this transaction. Paypal tells me to contact the seller (compromised) or Ebay!

Ebay have said I will need to call PP but the waiting time on-hold is unacceptable.

PP resolution centre offers absolutely NO options for fixing this issue. So frustrating. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DavyNix

If its marked as pending / unclaimed then there is only a cancel option if that email address does not exist.

If it exists but is not linked to a paypal account then it will show as unclaimed but without a cancel option.

In that scenario the pending status 'times out' at 30 days post payment.

They allow 30 days in case its a genuine seller trying to 'claim' that payment.

Keep an eye on it and if its claimed (unlikely) you can open a dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DavyNix

If its marked as pending / unclaimed then there is only a cancel option if that email address does not exist.

If it exists but is not linked to a paypal account then it will show as unclaimed but without a cancel option.

In that scenario the pending status 'times out' at 30 days post payment.

They allow 30 days in case its a genuine seller trying to 'claim' that payment.

Keep an eye on it and if its claimed (unlikely) you can open a dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DavyNix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I used a credit card for this transaction but if I had chosen to use my "PayPal" balance would it have frozen that amount in my funds for £30 days?  Needs to be a better resolution process between a merchant - PayPal - buyer in my opinion.  Certainly needs to be more information.  Thanks or your input, it's much appreciated!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DavyNix

Yes it would have frozen your balance for 30 days because it was not a dispute was it.

The 30 days gives a seller time to verify his email address etc and claim the payment which buyers often want as they want the sale to go through.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.