Bank Account showing Monthly Direct Debit payment to PayPal

DragonChris
Contributor
Contributor

I did a one-off purchase for a product through PayPal a few days back and as normal the PayPal purchase was debited from my Bank Account.

However, logging on to my online banking account, I've noticed that a monthly direct debit called "PAYPAL PAYMENT" has been set up for the same amount as the purchase I made. I don't recall doing anything that would set this up? Why is this there?

Can someone explain why this has happened and should I cancel the Direct Debit? Cause I certainly don't want to pay monthly for a one-off payment.

Here's a picture of what I mean.

PayPal.jpg

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DragonChris

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make.
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal its not a monthly amount.

eg I have £29.99 listed on my Paypal direct debit list but that was from 3 months ago (as i normally use a card), and its the last seller that I paid from my bank account via bank tranfer.

Without a direct debit paypal can't pay your sellers for you FROM your bank account.

Mine says 'scheduled' by it but then so do all my other direct debits, but to be doubly sure (and you were not setting up a subscription with the seller) then just give your bank a bell.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DragonChris

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make.
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal its not a monthly amount.

eg I have £29.99 listed on my Paypal direct debit list but that was from 3 months ago (as i normally use a card), and its the last seller that I paid from my bank account via bank tranfer.

Without a direct debit paypal can't pay your sellers for you FROM your bank account.

Mine says 'scheduled' by it but then so do all my other direct debits, but to be doubly sure (and you were not setting up a subscription with the seller) then just give your bank a bell.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DragonChris
Contributor
Contributor

So nothing to be worried about then? Thanks for letting me know.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DragonChris

Re-read my last line, as mine say scheduled and yours monthly it may be an idea just to give your bank a bell to make sure you have not set up a subscription with the seller.........as i don't know what sort of transaction it was i can only advise.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.