Trying to refund a "held" payment

omarmjhd

I had to refund a PayPal payment made on an eBay purchase because I was no longer able to sell the item (it was damaged during packaging) after I had received the payment. The buyer opened an unshipped item case here on PayPal and I tried to explain to him the situation that I am in: when the case was opened, his payment was "held". When I try to initiate a refund for his payment, it does not let me refund the money and instead tries to charge my bank account or credit card. I need to figure out how to get it to refund HIS payment and not charge me. Thank you for any help.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Misty11
Advisor
Advisor

Hello omarmjhd and welcome to the Community Robot wink.

I am sorry to hear about the item getting damaged Robot Sad. If you are not real familiar with dispute cases refunds can be tricky. The resean you are not able to refund the payment is because when a case is opened the funds are placed on

hold until the case has been resolved by the buyer and seller or PayPal. What you will need to do is go to the Resolution Center in your PayPal account and respond by selecting you want to refund the payment. This will refund the held payment back to the buyer. The case will then be resolved and closed.

To go to the Resolution Center, click Resolution Center (under My Account) and click open cases.  

~Misty

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.