Transferring a Refund Back into my Card

mariposa4249
New Community Member

Hi.  Walmart issued my Paypal a/c a refund.   How can I get the money put back into my card?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello mariposa4249

If the payment was originally funded by your credit/debit card then the funds would automatically go back to it.  If the original payment was competed as a bank transfer then you would need to withdrawal the funds back to your bank as we can not credit funds to a card that was not originally used to make the payment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I wish you a good day.

KB

Login to Me Too

ivyrose
New Community Member

An Ebay seller issued two refunds one was sent back to my credit card and one is shown as Paypal credit. How do I get this credited back to my credit card? I don't understand why Paypal did not just go ahead and sent the money back to my credit card, nothing has changed on my account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello ivyrose

If the payments were both made via your card and the seller issued the refund back to you using the 'issue refund' link, then the payments will automatically credit back to your card. 

If the payment did not go back to your card then the only reason this would happen would be if the seller sent you a payment for the money owed to you rather than issuing a refund.  If the funds were sent to your account as a payment then our system does not recognize that it is intended as a refund and therefore it will go directly into your balance.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I wish you a good day.

KB

Login to Me Too

ohwussup
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, what happens if I remove my bank account that is linked on paypal but I keep my debit card listed?  Will paypal stop paying with my bank account and use my debit card instead?

Recently I had gotten a refund not knowing paypal will pay via bank account instead of card and my refund came back as paypal balance.  I would like my future refunds to go back to my bank account instead.

How will I proceed doing this?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello ohwussup

If you remove your bank and leave your debit card then you may be able to use it for a bit but at some point you will have to verify your account which is done by either adding and confirming a bank account or by being approved for a PayPal credit product.

Verifying your account gives you the ability to send as much money as you have available to you.  If you are unverified, which happens when you remove your bank, you may not be able to send any money at all, even with the debit card on file.  If you pay for a transaction via your debit card and are refunded, it will go back to the debit card but if you pay via a bank transfer, the funds will always go back to your PayPal balance.

Even though the money originally comes from the same bank account, the payments are processed differently depending on if you use the debit card information or the bank account/routing number  Thank you for being part of our community and I wish you a good day.

KB

Login to Me Too

ohwussup
Contributor
Contributor

I understand what you have been saying, so now my question is: is there a way to set the debit card as the default method of payment?

Honestly (on eBay) I just remember selecting Paypal as my method of payment, but I don't remember there being an option in Paypal to pay by bank account or card...

Maybe I missed something but I can't test this as I'm not buying anything again soon.

I'm just disappointed that Paypal would think that I want to use my direct bank account when that's why I listed my card in the first place, to be used.

Could you help me understand?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello ohwussup

Thank you for your reply.  When your PayPal account is set up and you have a bank account and a credit/debit card listed on file your bank is the automatic default funding source.  This is how our system is set up but if you would like to make a payment via your card then you can click the 'change' link and select your card as the funding source.

There currently is not a way to make your card the default funding source when you have a bank and card on file but you may choose your card on a transaction by transaction basis.  I hope this helps to clarify the situation for you but as always, if you need further help please let me know.  Thank you and have a good day.

KB

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.