Temporary Hold placed on my refund!!!!

slhixsons
New Community Member

So I'm guessing that the problem that I am having with getting my refund put back into my paypal account is happening to a lot of others!!!!! I purchased a pair of shoes from ebay on the 16th. On the 19th the seller contacted me and said that one of the shoes was damaged so she was going to refund the money. I told her to refund the money on the 19th, and she did. That's not the problem.....the problem is.....It is exactly 4 days till Christmas and I need to order another pair of shoes, but until paypal takes the temporary hold off of my refund I won't have the money to purchase another pair of shoes!!!!!!! If paypal can front the money to the seller in order to get them paid in a timely manner, then they should be able to front the money to me, so that I can order another pair of shoes!!!!! This is the first and last time I will ever attempt to purchase something as a Christmas gift over the internet using paypal!!!!!  This has been an awful experience!!!!!  

Login to Me Too
290 REPLIES 290

lwilliams91
New Community Member

This has happened to me as well, I made the purchase December 13, canceled my order December 14, and it is currently December 19 and I still haven't seen a refund. Even once I DO get a refund, will it take this long once I withdrawal that money into my bank account as well?

Login to Me Too

mel0
New Community Member

Damnit my xmas is ruined.

Purchased an overseas gift with paypal yesterday costing big bux, seller refunded me as they never had all the pieces of the product. Now i cannot buy the same item from another store because my bux are temporarily on hold. Not happy   

Login to Me Too

KonijinArneb

We celebrate a similar tradion as christmas but we celebrate it every 6th of January.

I'm extremely frustrated for all this waiting. -_-*

I knew PayPal wasn't the wisest choice. I always pay directly with a credit card.

I decided to buy an item from asote outside of ebay.

It was all their fault for not replying me via e-mail that they ran out of those specific items.

(I e-mailed them until they replied)

I told them I couln't wait, because it's a holiday gift.

I wanted a refund directly to my bank.

But these guys don't do bussiness like that!! ><

They replied saying that I should open a PayPal

I did, but because I'm a college student, I don't have that much time to wait and wait and wait.

I like what PayPal does, but 4-8 days is an eternity in this holidays..

I still need to wait for the money

Never ever ever ever ever shop online if you are a busy person 😕

Login to Me Too

sundrop74
New Community Member

I also have a temporary hold on a refund. I paid for an item on December 30th using my bank acount as the funding source. The payment was refunded almost immediately by the person I sent it to. The funds have been unavailable to be ever since, even though they were drafted out of my bank account yesterday. I expected to have them in my PayPal account when I checked this morning, but no.

I guess PayPal needs to make some money on interest before they let me use MY money. Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

CarlyC
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going through this crap right now too! I sent a $285.00 payment for an ipad,but the seller never claimed the money then I find out their address is not even registered with paypal so I cancelled the payment last night and had a temporary hold placed on it,saying paypal had to review it! Review what?! There is nothing to review,the seller is NOT registered with you and DID NOT claim the money,therefore you guys have no reason to withold it from me!  I want my money back NOW so that I can get my Ipad somewhere else!

Login to Me Too

bear_collector
New Community Member

I am going through this as well. 

My only concern is I have not read very many people saying they actually got the refund back.

I understand the time frames and everything clearing. 

What happens if we do not get a refund?  Will someone answer e-mails and phone calls?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi bear_collector, and welcome to the forums!

bear_collector wrote:

My only concern is I have not read very many people saying they actually got the refund back.

The truth is that people rarely come back to let everyone know that they've received resolution. Some folks do come back and mark their questions as solved or post again to let us know they're set, but they are in the minority. You can definitely be one of the helpful ones if you'd like to come back and let everyone know that yours cleared. 🙂

bear_collector wrote:

What happens if we do not get a refund?  Will someone answer e-mails and phone calls?

Absolutely! To contact Customer Solutions, log into your PayPal account and then click Contact Us. You can opt to call the number listed, or email from there via the email form.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

peg-L

I also have had money pending . It has been more that two weeks and its still pending. I thought it was only supose to take 3to4 days. Has anyone  had this happen? What is paypal's answer to this problem?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi peg-L, and welcome to the forums!

I'd be happy to help you with some questions to narrow down the cause of the delay. For account-specific assistance from someone who can look at your individual transactions, you may want to give Customer Solutions a call.

Are you looking at a held refund (where a seller refunded a payment you made to them directly from the transaction), or a held payment that someone paid to you? These are two different scenarios that have entirely different causes and for which the answers are different. This topic is a discussion specific to held refunds. If you have questions or concerns about payment holds on payments that you've received, that discussion is ongoing in another board.

If the transaction in question is a held refund, what was the original date of the payment that you made to the seller? If you click the plus sign (+) in your transaction history, you can see when the withdrawal request was sent to your bank. If it is within 3-5 business days of today, then the clearing is still on schedule. If the payment is still processing, the possibility exists that there was a problem with the original funding source. You may wish to inquire with your bank.

If greater than 5 business days have passed and the above doesn't help narrow it down, I'd recommend contacting Customer Solutions.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

EliziaAngel
Contributor
Contributor

This has also happened to me. I paid for goods, the item was actually out of stock and the website had not updated, the seller gave me a full refund, which Paypal promptly put on hold .... However Paypal_Oliva's response is no longer valid and hasn't been since the 1st January 2012.

On the 1st January 2012 it became law in the UK for banks to transfer money immediately, which means it would not have taken 3-4 days for my bank to pay the money.

FSA website - "transferring money electronically from one account to another person’s account, including the payment of bills, will have to be completed by close of business the next day."

This also means that Paypal.co.uk (who use banks to transfer back in to personal accounts) must also abide by this.

My refund is still on hold 4 days later. I emailed paypal privately as soon as the hold was put in place, but no-one has bothered to reply to me.

As paypal have not released new terms and conditions for use (in which they would have to get us all to agree to delaying transfers) and the fact I cannot find anything on the paypal website, I can only assume that the 'Temporary Hold' is a delaying tactic on their part to negate the illegality they admitted to in a statement to the BBC's Money Box programme.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.