Temporary Hold placed on my refund!!!!

slhixsons
New Community Member

So I'm guessing that the problem that I am having with getting my refund put back into my paypal account is happening to a lot of others!!!!! I purchased a pair of shoes from ebay on the 16th. On the 19th the seller contacted me and said that one of the shoes was damaged so she was going to refund the money. I told her to refund the money on the 19th, and she did. That's not the problem.....the problem is.....It is exactly 4 days till Christmas and I need to order another pair of shoes, but until paypal takes the temporary hold off of my refund I won't have the money to purchase another pair of shoes!!!!!!! If paypal can front the money to the seller in order to get them paid in a timely manner, then they should be able to front the money to me, so that I can order another pair of shoes!!!!! This is the first and last time I will ever attempt to purchase something as a Christmas gift over the internet using paypal!!!!!  This has been an awful experience!!!!!  

Login to Me Too
290 REPLIES 290

PayPal_Olivia

Hi DrGonzo, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your shipper. Thank you for resolving things directly with your buyer swiftly. That's a great seller practice!

From the seller's perspective, an Instant Transfer is any transfer where the seller gets the funds right away. This basically means any payment other than an eCheck. In the case of a balance payment or a credit payment, the funds are moved immediately. In the case of a bank-funded payment, it's instant because PayPal paid you up front while we waited for the funds to arrive from the buyer's bank.

If they have not received the funds yet, that's because the original funds have not yet arrived through the ACH process from *their* bank. Since your eCheck has cleared, a much more likely scenario is that the funds were made available in their account already some time ago, and were subsequently spent in another transaction.

Let your buyer know that they should view their transaction history with "All activity (with balance)" and review the impact on their balance after every action was completed in their account. They'll likely see the funds cleared from your refund within 3-5 business days of their original payment, and then very probably see that they made a payment to someone else shortly thereafter, using the funds that were in the balance.

Let us know how your conversation turns out!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

LyonVictor22
New Community Member

I see there have been several issues regarding the "Temporary Hold" PayPal places on refunds.  I was NOT made aware of ANY  "Temporary Hold:" at the time the refund was requested.  We are led to believe that refunds are instantaneous once refunded by the Seller/Merchant; however, the surprise Temporary Hold on my refund just cost me $35 IN BANK OVERDRAFT FEES! Does PayPal refund those?!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi LyonVictor22,

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced overdraft fees in your bank account. PayPal never charges any sort of overdraft fees. If there are no funds available in your balance for a transaction, you are shown what funding source will be charged. It is important to review the funding source being used for any transaction before processing that payment.

When receiving a refund, always double-check your account to determine the status of the refund.

• If it was a credit card funded payment, the funds will go back to the card. The credit card issuing bank may update your account immediately, or it may take them a few days (or in some rare cases even a billing cycle) to update it. Each institution handles that differently.
  • If the balance was used, the funds are available immediately in your balance.
  • If the bank was used, the funds are available as soon as the initial transaction clears to us from your bank, through the ACH process.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

toronto0608
Contributor
Contributor

I received my refund from seller and no money in my account, It said temporary hold ? Why do i have a hold on refund,

money that came out of my back account and my paypal account said $00.00 fix the problem....

Login to Me Too

tarheels-champs
New Community Member

they will hold it for a few days to review it and then it will be available in your account!

Login to Me Too

parrothead58
New Community Member

I also had my refund put on hold.  This has been since the 3rd, this is not a couple of days any more.  They take our money right away, no hold there, then time to give it back, well now you have to wait.  Come on PAYPAL, this is alot of people complaining.  If we were to rate you right now it would not be 5 stars, 

Login to Me Too

xo0x
Contributor
Contributor

Like parrothead58 said, it takes a few days for it to go back into your paypal account they have to verify that your funds are legit before they give you their money.

I purchased something on the December 1st and had a refund issued the 4th, still waiting on the temporally hold to complete it is very frustrating waiting 4 extra days when the payment is INSTANT but refunds take like a week.

Definitely a service of paypal's I am not a fan of and even if you call up the customer support they can't tell you **bleep** or help you it's very stupid and it's making me dislike paypal even more.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hello xo0x, parrothead58, tarheels-champs, and toronto0608.

Welcome to the community forums! Thank you for coming here to research your question.

I have merged your discussion into this already existent thread. The answers to your questions have been discussed at length here. You may find it useful to organize the posts so you're viewing them in the order they were written, so you can read the discussion from the beginning.

To view the posts in this thread in chronological order, hover over "More topic options" near the top of this page on the left, just below the header graphic. Then select "Sort Oldest to Newest".

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Login to Me Too

hlbeard

I placed an order, cancelled it 10 minutes later, Best Buy immediately refunded money and now one week...yes one week later the money still is not back in my bank account causing an overdraft fee.  I understand the transaction took place on a Friday but the money cleared my account on Monday.  If it can clear in one business day then it should be able to be back into my bank account in 1-2 business days...instead 5 business days later still not there.  The funds were placed back in my paypal account yesterday but of course then I had to transfer them to my bank.  Why does it take one day for paypal to get the money from my bank but 3-5 business days for the money to go back to my bank after I send it from my paypal account and why doesn't paypal automatically issue the refund back to your bank account in cases of refunds rather than just processing it to sit in your paypal account.  It is a refund most refunds are processed back to the original source which ultimately is my bank account and by paypal putting back in their account and holding it there until you physically move it delays the process of it getting back to the bank account. 

Login to Me Too

hlbeard

To put these in even more perspective as to how incredibly insane this is...I placed an order with Amazon on Dec. 4th mind you two days after the Paypal transaction occuring on Dec. 2nd.  This item was shipped to me with 2 day shipping but I received the item sent it back and they will be processing my refund on Monday faster than paypal and they had to physically ship, me recieve, mail back, and then them check the product for correct return this will happen in a 2-3 day shorter period than paypal just transferring money.  Sorry it all sounds fishy to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.