Partial refund not sent entirely

kauricat
Contributor
Contributor

It appears as if the customer does not receive the entire amount when a partial refund is done. It appears as if the fees are subtracted from the requested refund amount. Is this true? If so, how can I calculate the amount to refund so that the customer receives what he is entitled to?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

If you issued a $30 refund to your customer, your customer received $30.   Buyer's do not pay transaction fees, seller's do.  

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

skier
Advisor
Advisor

If you issue a total refund within 60 days of the transaction date, PayPal refunds the original transaction fee for receiving the payment to your account. For partial refunds, the fee refund will be calculated at the same percentage as the payment refund. When you issue a refund after 60 days, your original transaction fee for receiving the payment is not credited to your account. If you refund a pending eCheck payment, no fees are charged because the pending payment is effectively canceled.  For example: If You sell something for $100.00 (fee is $2.90 + $0.30) and refund $50.00, PayPal will issue a refund of 50% of the fee (not including the $0.30) so in this case $1.80 will be returned to your PayPal Account.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

kauricat
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that summary, but that doesn't solve my concern. I issued the refund the same day as the payment was made. For example, the total was $100, fees were whatever you said. Partial refund was $30. When they listed out the transaction, it said Gross $30, Fees $0.80, Net refund $29.20. (or numbers like that). My concern is that I wanted to refund my customer $30 and it appears that he only got $29.20. Perhaps I am reading the transaction summary incorrectly????

Login to Me Too
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

If you issued a $30 refund to your customer, your customer received $30.   Buyer's do not pay transaction fees, seller's do.  

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

kauricat
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I realise that the fees are paid by the seller. Thank you for confirming that. The summary that I receive from PayPal is unclear. But, if my customer is receiving the correct amount, I will stop worrying about it.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

I received partial refunds in the past from other online businesses and what was refunded was what I've received.  Also as an online business owner, I have issued partial refunds and have not had any issues.  

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

kauricat
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I feel at ease now.

Login to Me Too

laurel656

SO--the buyer receives the FULL amt that they paid then? It certainly looks as if the BUYER gets shorted the amt of fees, as stated above, very confusing on the "net" and "gross" amt of the refund. I am already dealing with a language barrier, and don't want my customer shortchanged the amt of MY fees for an error on MY part.

Login to Me Too

mikelz
Contributor
Contributor

@skier wrote:

Regards,

skier

This doens't help me any.

I got paid 9.89.

The customer asked for a refund.

I refunded the 9.89.

PayPal gave me the .59 fee.

The customer received 9.30.

The customer was shorted the .59.

I want to send the .59.

There is nothing I have found on PayPal that allows me to or shows me how to do that.

Oh, that virtual assistant is the worst web app ever.

Login to Me Too

tangerine

It appears as though PayPal has changed the confirmed refund page to show that the buyer does get shorted on partial refunds. I just tried to do a partial refund of $20.00. It shows the fees as being $.58 and says "You have sent $19.42 to XXXX with PayPal". It's embarrassing when we tell a buyer we'll refund $20 but then they only get $19.42. 😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.