How to refund money past the 60 day limit.

Virg
Contributor
Contributor

I insured a package going Global Express International and had fragile stickers on all sides of the box and sent it to my buyer at the end of October 2010.   My buyer contacted me that it arrived broken and he couldn't understand how "because it had been packed so well".  Between us, a claim was filed for the cost of the item, $315.00, in November 2010.  After countless calls and emails I received a check for $100.00 last week.  We are still trying to get the rest of our money.  Now I want to get the $100.00 to my buyer and be able to refund the balance when it comes in.  I need to know how I can do this.

Thanks,  Virginia  ( sorry my explanation is so long) 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello Virg

Welcome.  When a payment is over 60 days old it is not possible to refund the payment as the link is gone.  You can send the money back to your buyer through the use of the 'Send Money' tab.  You will just need to make sure you have their email address registered to their PayPal account to complete the transaction.  If you send the payment as a Personal payment and fund the transaction with either a balance in your PayPal account or by a bank transfer, the recipient will not receive a fee.

You may use the Personal payment option in this scenario as you are not purchasing anything from the other party, you are simply refunding them the money you owe them.  I hope this helps you and I wish you the very best.

KB

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello Virg

Welcome.  When a payment is over 60 days old it is not possible to refund the payment as the link is gone.  You can send the money back to your buyer through the use of the 'Send Money' tab.  You will just need to make sure you have their email address registered to their PayPal account to complete the transaction.  If you send the payment as a Personal payment and fund the transaction with either a balance in your PayPal account or by a bank transfer, the recipient will not receive a fee.

You may use the Personal payment option in this scenario as you are not purchasing anything from the other party, you are simply refunding them the money you owe them.  I hope this helps you and I wish you the very best.

KB

Login to Me Too

Sharon
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Virg Insured...

NO..DON'T SEND ANY MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU KNOW YOUR ITEM IS BROKEN!

GET  PICTURES OF THE ITEM FROM THE BUYER!...THE ITEM MAY NOT BE BROKEN!...Smiley Surprised

Not saying the buyer is lying, but get them to take pictures and email them to you can you will have evidence

I don't understand how you get only $100?...I don't trust international shipping.

Who is refunding the money?....Because if it's the postal service, they would give the full insured amount,

Also if it was with UPS!  I would not cash the check until you get the whole amount.

The buyer should have already gotten his money back.BUT, IF THE ITEM IS BROKEN, GET PICTURES! 

But..Did you get the item back? ..If not wait until you get the item before you do anything as far as returns.

Thanks and good luck.

Sharon

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.