How to get refund after auction cancelled?

cvstan
Contributor
Contributor

1) Auction ended normally and I paid with PayPal immediately.

2) PayPal marks transaction as completed.

3) Seller emails a few days later that his PayPal account is not ready and he didn't/can't get the payment.

4) Seller tells me to take my money back (not possible!).

5) Seller cancels auction via ebay and I agree.

6) Now the auction is cancelled and I am not obligated to pay, except I have already paid!!!!!

7) I have to wait another 6 days before I can open a dispute on ebay.

What a mess!  Just a **bleep**up or are people really this devious?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

SteveHogan
Contributor
Contributor

People are really this devious.  File the dispute as soon as possible.  Notify PayPal customer service asap also 

Login to Me Too

SteveHogan
Contributor
Contributor

One more point.  If PayPal marks the transaction as completed, the recipients accoutn was "ready."  There is no way for PayPal to complete a payment to an account that is "not ready yet."  This sounds like fraud.  Whatwas the seller's eBay feedback number?

Login to Me Too

cvstan
Contributor
Contributor

Feedback was only 5.  I found PayPal on-line help to be difficult to navigate.  I am supposed to file a dispute with either ebay or PayPal, but not both, so which do I pick?  I have already been on the phone with ebay and they said I can't do anything until 10 days after payment.  With PayPal I can start a dispute sooner.

Login to Me Too

SteveHogan
Contributor
Contributor

Pull the trigger with PayPal.  By the time eBay gets through their process, this guy will be gone with your money

Login to Me Too

AuctionLovers
Contributor
Contributor

Neve file dispute on ebay side, ALWAYS file through Paypal if that's how you paid.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.