How long for refund to show in Paypal balance?

LilSkittles
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first time I have had to have a refund through Paypal so, if I sound like a noob, please bear with me 😉

I made a purchase on 12/11 and the seller informed me of a problem with the item so he offered a refund the next day. Now, I sent the money from my bank account and a hold was placed for it. The seller refunded me for the item the day after. At that point, the funds still hadn't cleared from my bank account. Fast forward  to today and still no refund. The amount cleared in my bank account 2 days ago and all the transactions in my Paypal history show that everything has cleared and I SHOULD have a Paypal balance for that amount (since payment by bank account became a refund in my Paypal balance, correct?). I am just wondering if this is normal and, if so, when will the refund actually be in my paypal balance?   Thanks in advance for any help...

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

krishnaraj

Dear User,

Your understanding on the fact that Bank Funded transaction refund would end up landing in the PayPal balance and NOT into the Bank directly is CORRECT.

There are many possibilities for you not seeing the refund into the PayPal balance and following are few:

1) The seller might have used his/her bank account to refund the transaction. In this case you should be seeing the refund transaction in the Transaction History as "PENDING". If that the case, you have to wait till the seller's bank txn is cleared.

2) The seller might have offered you the refund and you might see a button something like "Accept Refund".

Pls check on this and get back for more help.

Have a great day ahead.

Cheers.

Login to Me Too

LilSkittles
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply!

I checked all the transactions I have listed and all of them say "Completed". My original payment to"The Seller"  shows up as "Refunded" and, when I click on it for further details, it says the amount was refunded and, although all the other text is in black, the line "Refund - $$ to Paypal balance" is in gray instead....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_WarrenG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

LilSkittles,

krishnaraj has described a couple of ways in which you would not have seen the refund yet, but based on your description of the situation I believe I can clarify this further.

When a payment is made using the Instant Payment process, PayPal automatically pays the seller on your behalf while we wait for the funds to be received from your bank account to be provided to us.  If the refund is provided before the funds have cleared into the PayPal system, we will place a hold on the amount within your PayPal balance until the funds clear from your bank and into the PayPal system.

After the funds have cleared into the PayPal system they will be made available in your PayPal balance.

I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.  I am sure you will see those funds in the near future.  Smiley Very Happy

PayPal_WarrenG

Login to Me Too

rara8321
New Community Member

I am also waiting for my refund. I talked to a rep from paypal and they said the same BS. I was told it would be back in my paypal account before midnight and it is now 2 am. So I am sorry I couldn't give you an answer but maybe you can see your not the only one out there. I find it funny that they wouldn't give us the refund right away considering that they already have the money coming to there account from our banks. They make it twice as hard by saying that they front the money and that is why they get the refund and make us wait for ours even though they are getting it from our bank first. It seems to be easier to just pay online without paypal we would obviously get the money back faster from the merchant paypal did!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.