Account Information to provide Merchant

cschuett
New Community Member

I was contacted by a merchant which I bought an application from. I contacted them regarding  lack of support on their end to which they have indicated they will refund my monies paid ot my PayPal account. They have asked for my PayPal information to process the refund, however I am unsure what information to provide them. Can you help?

Thanks,

Carl Schuett

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome cschuett

The only information a merchant would need to send you money would be your primary, confirmed email address registered to your account.  If you made your original payment to the merchant using your PayPal account, the merchant would not even need your email address.  In this case they would only need to find the original payment and click the 'issue refund' button to initiate a refund back to you, provided the original payment took place within the last 60 days.

Take care and have a great day.

KB

Login to Me Too

clairechat
New Community Member

Kevin,

I am having a similar issue. I've never sold on ebay before so I don't know the process of issuing a refund from the seller's side, apparently neither does the seller I'm dealing with. I purchased some china back in mid-September. It was packed poorly and some of the items arrived broken. I requested a partial refund for those specific items. The seller's daughter responded saying her mother was ill and has been putting me off since with excuses of when her mother will be back. It's now November 19 and I've given her an ultimatum to issue the partial refund or I will file an official claim.

She emailed me to say she issued the refund to my email address, but PayPal shows no action whatsoever. She asked me for my PayPal id, but based on your board message, all she needs is my email. What instructions can I give her to process this refund correctly? She claims to have a transaction ID, which she says she'll email to me when she gets in the office.

Thanks for your assistance!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Kevin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello clairechat

In order for her to issue a refund, provided that the original payment took place within 60 days of the refund date, she would not even need your email address.  She would only need to find your original payment in her account and then click the 'issue refund' link.  This would allow her to issue the refund back to you.

If it has been over 60 days then the 'issue refund' link is not available and the only way she could complete the refund would be by actually sending you a payment.  In this situation she would need your confirmed email address on your PayPal account and nothing more.  If she is saying she sent it then I would ask her to tell you what email address she sent it to and how she completed it.  Based on her information you can go from there.

Please let me know if you need any further help and have a great day.

KB

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.