eCheck bounced- now what?

lsulsu
New Community Member

I sold tickets on ebay via buy it now for $300.   It was for the LSU-Tennessee football game, about 2 hours before kickoff.  The payer "paid" via eCheck.  He texted me several times and we met in person to exchange the tickets.  I thought he was honest and he even sat next to us at the game.  Now, I get the notice that his check has been declined for a final time and the payment has been cancelled.  I know that I should have refused the payment, but I assume people are bascially good (not!).  He will not respond to texts, emails, calls.  I filed and unpaid bidder with ebay, but that will do little good.  

Is there anything else that I can do?

How do I refuse any "payments" from eCheck in the future?

Can I legally turn him over to a debt collector-- I will gladly pay another $300 to make people like this live up to their debts.

Does he get a bounced check fee from his bank?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

lizgrisham1990
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I'd ask your local police office first, and report him to ic3.gov (if you feel it was intentional)

2) Call PayPal and explain, - there is not really nothing they can do, but this will give them reason to closely watch that persons account for future scams, or compare past scams and maybe get you taken care of.

From my experience, something like this - you have to take as a hard lesson learned, as far as getting rid of the sorry crook, follow through with what I recommended - go to the Police, and ic3.gov website and report it (again, if you feel it was intentional).   

Remember, NEVER give a item before a e-Check clears, PayPal states that during the time they make e-Check payment.  So if nothing is done locally - There is nothing to be done.

I'd track him down in person and get my money back (luckily he is a local, as it sounds)  Find his address & phone number, any relatives also, call them - the best you can do is bug them, and tell them the guy robbed you, hopefully his family has more decency than him and will talk to him for you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.