am i being scammed

tattoo

this guy wants me to send him 550.00 dollars before he will send me the payment for a car i posted for sale on craigslist

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

drpshipper

And what is the $550 he requested for.  You are selling a car on-line.  He agrees to buy it from you for an agreed upon price.  He then asks you to first send a payment to him.  All this correct?  Then what is the payment he wants from you for?  Anytime a transaction does not go as expected a red flag should go up.  And there is a red flag on this transaction.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

drpshipper

And what is the $550 he requested for.  You are selling a car on-line.  He agrees to buy it from you for an agreed upon price.  He then asks you to first send a payment to him.  All this correct?  Then what is the payment he wants from you for?  Anytime a transaction does not go as expected a red flag should go up.  And there is a red flag on this transaction.

Login to Me Too

tattoo

YEA HE SAID THAT HE NEEDED 550.00 TO GIVE TO A PICK UP AGENT BECAUSE HE WAS IN THE MARINES,,,AND THE CAR WAS A SUPRISE FOR HIS BROTHER,,,AND WANTED ME TO WIRE THE MONEY TO LONDON ENGLAND,,,THIS IS HIS MESSAGE TO ME,,,,,

Hello Robert, have just made the payments now and i expect paypal to have emailed by now,check your paypal email address if you have been messaged yet, i sent $1,950 in all, paypal said they would be holding the funds because of the excess payments of $550 added meant for pick up of the  Lincoln Town Car and due to the fact that i emailed them about the excess payment i made, until they get the western union information from you Lincoln Town Car is being delivered to my brother, i will need you to send the $550 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer(this can be done from the post office, as they usually have a western union agent there),i added extra $100 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be up to that but just to be sure i added $100, Here is my pick up agent Headquarter info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Name       Rob  McNaughton Address   32,Keshington Church Street, London, England

Please kindly email the necessary details to paypal :The Mtcn which you will be given at the western union after the $550 has been sent as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through western union,so i can forward it to paypal or better still you can email it to paypal directly so that they can credit your account today.

NB.. I will need your address where the  Lincoln Town Car will be picked up,and my pickup agent will contact you after they have received the payments in order to book a time for the pick up to be done.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

drpshipper

Yes, I can not be absolutely sure, however this is the number #1 PayPal scam.  It involves the buyer stating that he has sent too much money and needs the over payment sent back to him.  I can almost assure you, because it is the number #1 PayPal scam that this is indeed a scam.  The other red flag is when the buyer requests the item be delivered to a different destination.  In my humble opinion I would walk away from this deal and then see if the buyer resends everything correctly.  So tell him to wait for his money to be returned and you will start all over with the correct payment.  Then you will know.  But I don't believe you will ever hear from this buyer again.

Login to Me Too

drpshipper

Before I mess up a entirely good business transaction can I ask you if the buyer is willing to wait for the funds to completely clear your account before the shipping is arranged?  I read your post a little more in detail and need a couple of questions answered first.  And also where the vehicle is being shipped is it to a different location than the buyer is located?  You need to be sure of a scam before you completely dismiss a transaction just because there are other details that are different.  Can you supply with this info please.

Login to Me Too

shawna1254p
New Community Member

I had the same exact email with the same exact "shipping agent" but mine was for $750. 

Login to Me Too

kbmeow

Yes this is a scam.  Does Paypal have your money?  I bet not.    This is a huge red flag.  State to him or her when the money has cleared paypal you will refund the money.  Sorry for any inconvience.  They money will never clear and or be legit.    We had something similar with a computer.  Also look at the wording.    Run and fast...

Login to Me Too

magicmojoman
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you are being scammed and **bleep**ed if you send the money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.