So transaction emails now come from service at paypal.com instead of the buyer's email

hepafilter
Contributor
Contributor

Please. please, please change it back, or at least make it so if I reply, it goes to the buyer's email. This has really **bleep**ed up my method.

Login to Me Too
64 REPLIES 64

ahoj
Contributor
Contributor

I have not received one payment notification email since the change, it just automatically goes into my blocked emails.

Which I did not ever block manually , and I keep trying to unblock every one to no avail.Perhaps the system see the word PayPal and automatically blocks it, confusing it with the fake PayPal sent by scammers all the time..?

HELP...

Login to Me Too

hugostiglitz
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia - I understand the problem as you explained it, but now the majority of PayPal users are going to be hampered by this fix to satisfy the minority. There needs to be an option where WE can chose between one form of notification or the other. If this is not fixed, this will give me no choice but to make the move to direct credit card payments and bypassing PayPal altogether. 

Login to Me Too

hepafilter
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

Please tell the Powers That Be that this really hurts some of us. It's more than just a minor inconvience. I've built an entire fulfillment system around the transaction email, and now it's completely broken. Please, please, PLEASE pass that on.

Login to Me Too

coverbuttons
Contributor
Contributor

This has messed me up also.  Makes filling orders way more painful.  No longer any way to sort by from in outlook to see who has made multiple orders.  PAYPAL please fix this.

Login to Me Too

ddilts399
Contributor
Contributor

The issue this is presenting for me, is often times a buyer will buy something a couple days apart and I literally ship from my inbox sorted by mail name, so if I happen to have 2 payments from 1 customer I can consolidate and refund their shipping. Now I run the risk of getting hammered by buyers for potentially being seen as double dipping them on shipping.

In addition, it slows down the order fulfillment process as a whole. This THE most impacting change to me personally I have ever seen.

Login to Me Too

brettunsvillage
Contributor
Contributor

We sent a message to an old PayPal contact about this issue and received this response: 

"Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.  Our Merchant Technical Support team is aware of the issue and the reason it changed as it was an intended fix from almost 7 years ago.  I have submitted a ticket with your feedback as they are looking into a possible resolution to the problems that this has caused for many merchants.  If I get any information I will let you know. 

Thank you,"

I think I'll keep this person's name off this post.  The next thing I'm going to do is start looking for a job where they let me avoid fixing things for seven years.   Here at this clam stand we don't even get seven minutes.

Login to Me Too

TekGems
Contributor
Contributor

So, I don't know what the exact change was in the mail header, but can't you add a reply to mail header? I just want the ability to reply to my customers in an easy way. I now have to copy and paste the e-mail address in the body into the TO for every single customer I need to communicate with.

My wrist hurts a lot now from all the extra mouse clicking.

I feel like suing PayPal excessive mouse clicking, copying, and pasting causing additional wrist problems for me.

Login to Me Too

hugostiglitz
Contributor
Contributor

That really doesn't help those of us who use Auto Responders to let our customers know that we've received their order. 

Right now it only seems that this is applying to orders that come in through a shopping cart - direct payments and echecks seem to come from the buyer's email still, however, that is less than 5% of my orders. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I understand your frustration. You've built a protocol around the return email address on your received notifications, and this no longer works. Changes that are necessary for a vast number of customers can sometimes cause unforeseen inconvenience, and I am sincerely sorry that you're experiencing it.

The problem that caused the need for the change is that many customers were not reliably getting payment notifications at all. They did not have the ability to create protocols relying on the receipt of notification emails, because those notifications were not coming in. For some people, the emails were blocked sporadically. For others, they were blocked entirely. This happened to any customer whose mail servers subscribed to a stricter standard, which any mail provider may decide to employ at any time, without letting you or PayPal know. By changing our process to conform to the stricter standard, we are ensuring the reliable delivery of the notification emails to the best of our ability.

I understand that manually replying to all your customers is cumbersome, and payment notification is highly important. Fortunately there are solutions. Many successful merchants use Instant Payment Notifications in conjunction with third party customized reply solutions. This may be a solution that is appropriate for you.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

rjcalnan
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia, no offense, but that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard in my life.

Paypal giving us a solution that requires a third party, which we'd inevitably have to pay for?

Give me a break.

The solution is the following:

1: send emails from the service email address

2: have the "reply to" address be the email address of the customer

Problem solved.

All emails show up to the users (even though we all know that is NOT the real issue here), and all of our auto-responders remain working.

If Paypal as a whole would just come out and admit that they are scared to death of buyer-to-seller direct communication, and that is the reason for the changes, that would be a lot more admirable than outright lying to us by saying there's nothing that Paypal can do.

There is, and it's above.

Give us all a good reason that can not be the solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.