Seller had incorrect address on paypal account

bebemomma03
New Community Member

I am having an issue with an ebay transaction, where the buyer did not have their updated shipping address on file with ebay, and now wants me to reship an item to a different address.

They contacted me via ebay with the correct ship-to address, but not until after I had printed the shipping label through paypal.  They've requested the PO to refuse the item and return it to me.

As the seller, am I responsible for paying another shipping fee to send this to another address?  Am I protected through seller protection, since this is their mistake by not having the correct shipping address on their paypal account?  The details page for this transaction says covered, but since it was refused by USPS, I am not sure of process.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Technically, the buyer should pay an exta shipping fee, but buyers often don't see it that way.

You have the choice of paying the extra shipping cost and chalking it up to Murphy's Law, or possibly gettung into a Battle Royal with the customer and losing the sale, the original shipping and getting negs for your trouble.

I'd just pay the shipping, myself - it's a pretty rare circumstance.

Login to Me Too

kou
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem, only thing is, I am the buyer and the seller has not yet shipped the item yet (that i think),

currently trying to find the link to change this since my paypal ID address is correct but the email confirmation on the item i purchased shows an old address through paypal!!!!

someone please!!! ebay?? paypal?? how does this get fixed or is it ebay AND paypal's software glitch???

Login to Me Too

ValerieGirl57
New Community Member

Never, ever, ever ship to an unconfirmed address. It's their  responsibility to keep their account updated. The big stores won't ship to a non-verifiede address, why should you take the risk? Sounds kinda harsh, I know, but some customers will take advantage of you if they can!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Valerie,

Never, ever, ever ship to an unconfirmed address

There's a problem with that.  Most overseas addresses are unconfirmed and you can still be covered if the payment page says the buyer is eligible.

As well, there's a glitch in Paypal right now - a lot of confirmed addresses are showing up as unconfirmed because there's some mistake in the programming.

Now, you look for "Eligible" or "Partly eligible' in the payment advice - the "confirmed" thingy is no longer the standard.

Login to Me Too

helocrazed
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if the buyer has a typographical error and the State is different but the zip code is correct? Where would the item go? I originally wanted the Item to go to an APO AE Address (Deployed military) but put APO "AP" (My billing /Home Station address) with the deployed location zip code. When I tried to correct the address with the seller, they said "Too late, it's been shipped". I tried to update my address with the seller and then they got the addresses mixed up also. Long story short, they are sending it to my billing/Home station address using APO "AE" instead of "AP" with the home station Zip code.

I know it was all driven by a simple typo but can anyone tell me where the item is going to end up? I don't feel like paying for an item I can't use coz it was sent to my home station and not to my deployed location, where I needed it to be. Thanks all!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Uhboy, that sounds like a mess.

Add in the usual efficiency of the armed forces mail and it could wind up anywhere.

Best guess is that it will be forwarded to you at some point, but you might want to ask your local forces postal people what the standard rules for that is.

Login to Me Too

helocrazed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I kind of figured that it would be messy. I only hope I get the merchandise. I only wish that the seller could have correctly changed the shipping address i.e. used the shipping address I sent the customer service department right after they received my email. So, I would wait 43 days till I can claim a non-delivery?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, I'd give the seller as much a chance as possible to get the package to you.

Who knows?  Miracles happen.

Login to Me Too

kou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.