Safe to receive a large sum of money from someone.....

Denina
Contributor
Contributor

Hello....I am new to Paypal. I am selling something on Craigslist and is quite expensive. I had three inquiries about it and all three of them were not local. They all requested my Paypal email addres to put the money into plus any shipping costs.  My quesiton is, once they put the money in there, is there any way that they can take it back out? I am just leery because there are so many scams out there. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Andy

Denina- First, let me welcome you to PayPal and the boards! Happy to have you here.

Now let's try to put some of your concerns to rest. The quick answer to your question is "no, they can't just take the money back out" BUT one of the concerns with high-priced items is the potential for fraud.  Not to alarm you, but there are a lot of people out there that want to take advantage of you. 😞

If your buyer files a dispute (unauthorized, non-receipt, not as described), we would place the contested amount on hold until the dispute is resolved. If it's resolved in their favor, we would have to return the funds back to them.  So it is possible they could get the money back and you're out your item as well, but this is always a concern for anyone selling anything.

I would encourage you to review our Seller Protection Policy for some guidelines and tips for selling.  We sincerely hope everything works out regarding your transaction.  Last thing to remember: If someone pays for an item and you feel that something is out of the ordinary, you can always contact us or just refund the payment. We want you to be successful.

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.