Process for using PayPal to receive payment for a vacation rental.

sacto2
Contributor
Contributor

I think I know the answer but wanted to make sure.

Renter logs into their PayPal account and clicks on "Send Money".  They enter my email which was given to them for this purpose, then the amount to be paid. Select "Personal" tab, then what ever is appropriate such as "Payment owed".  Click on "Continue", verify everything and click on "Send Money".

Is this correct?

I understand they can change the method of payment from PayPal to CC.

What I'm not clear on;

If they choose PayPal as method, what is the fee to me as seller?

If they choose CC what is the fee to me as seller?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If they're using paypal, the fees are the same, whether they pay through a bank or CC.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Renter logs into their PayPal account and clicks on "Send Money".  They enter my email which was given to them for this purpose, then the amount to be paid. Select "Personal" tab, then what ever is appropriate such as "Payment owed".  Click on "Continue", verify everything and click on "Send Money".

Is this correct?

Yes.

Then, after the vacation, the renter files an "Item not received" dispute and gets all of their money back because you can't prove delivery of an item.

You MIGHT get away with it by using the "Send Money" tab, but not if the person claims "Unauthorized use of account".

It's  pretty chancey way of getting paid - tell them to send the money by Western Union or Postal Money Order instead.

Login to Me Too

sacto2
Contributor
Contributor

That is the preferred method of payment, but we have been getting a few requests for PayPal.  I guess I didn't realize it was so easy for the buyer to get their money back. I guess it has to do with services, not shipped products.

I still would like an answer on the last 2 questions.  I know there is a 30 cent plus 2.9% charge, but I'm not clear if that's for CC or PayPal or both. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If they're using paypal, the fees are the same, whether they pay through a bank or CC.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.