Invoice: "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment."

Blake82
New Community Member

I have a Premier account linked to my business checking account. I sent an invoice to my wife to test it and see if she could pay with a credit card. She put in her information and got the following message:

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I sent myself one too and tried it with my credit card and got the same message. I need to make sure this is going to work before I send and invoice to a customer. 

Please help!

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Brion
New Community Member

I too am having this issue. I have a client right now who can't make a payment to me although he has in the past. This is very frustrating!

Login to Me Too

collectmania
New Community Member

i am having this very issue,i linked my debit card to my paypal account to get things set up and rolling for my sellers account on ebay,now when i buy something from ebay,i get the error that i cannot use that card to pay for won auctions,this is very disconcering to me ,since its the ONLY card i have to use right now..is this the way its always going to be or is this going to be fixed sometime in the very near future??!!

Login to Me Too

gadgit7
New Community Member

I am having the same problem.

I contacted phone support  =  waste of time!

I then submitted a ticket to the very underpromoted merchant tech support here

This is the response;

I apologize for the inconvenience, the ability for a buyer to pay with just their credit and without logging into their existing PayPal account can be affected by a number of things.

For instance, if the email address they are attempting to use during checkout is also registered to a PayPal account, we will require them to login to their existing account in order to complete the payment.

Additionally, if a buyer is attempting to pay with their credit card and our security model does not approve the use of the credit card without signing in, they will be asked to sign in to their account.

The PayPal security model is a complex system to prevent potential fraudulent transactions in the PayPal system. If you would like further explanation of the model, please contact customer service. Be advised though, that we cannot override a security model decision and if a buyer is being asked to login to their existing account to pay, they will be required to or they can try a different credit card.

If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Support at:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-general
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone 

This is an ongoing enquiry...i'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Login to Me Too

minload
New Community Member

After reading this entire thread, what you appear to be saying is that Pay Pal for credit card processing is not a viable option to a merchant account. Yes?

Kurt

Login to Me Too

yrrabmas

So my customer is getting this message, "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment" means it has already been associated with a Paypal account, so they need to use a Credit card that has never been used on Paypal?

Please advise.

Thanks yrrabmas

Login to Me Too

stevec5088

This is pretty crazy.  It sounds like a number of customers trying to make a payment with their credit card, and withOUT using a PayPal login will get this message.

Although I am a PayPal member, I am using a credit card and email address that IS NOT known to PayPal.  So the issue is not that of an email address or CC number associated with a PayPal account.

A friend was able to successfully pay $25 into my acct, but I cannot pay $2.  (Does the amount affect the issue???)  I get that message:

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I would sure like to know what PayPal means by this (copied from above):

The PayPal security model is a complex system to prevent potential fraudulent transactions in the PayPal system. If you would like further explanation of the model, please contact customer service. Be advised though, that we cannot override a security model decision and if a buyer is being asked to login to their existing account to pay, they will be required to or they can try a different credit card.

I'll be contacting Customer Service.

Login to Me Too

TPPC
Contributor
Contributor

I CAN NOT believe this has been going on since Oct 2010...

I have also experienced the same problems. I have also noticed (first) that people could no longer go to PayPal and send me money on their own and I did not want to use PayPal's invoicing. I just wanted to give customers another method of payment for our services. Then I find that I can e-mail customers a request for payment Now I have run into the same issue with PayPal wanting them to sign up for an account or with the last customer had an email address that he had used years ago for some things he bought on e-bay and it kept on trying to get him to log in and would not accept his card saying that his business credit card with $20,000 limit was not acceptable. PayPal  used to be so easy and now I am worried to even send a customer to PayPal and pay their invoice. I guess I will have to go get a normal Merchant Account. I thought it would be great to be able to accept credit card payments and have the money in PayPal and use it for my expenses with my PayPal card. PayPal is becoming too big and too dificult for the agerage user...Oh yea!  How the **bleep** do you speak to someone on the phone and get an answer???  Not going to happen!

Login to Me Too

jseller
New Community Member

I too had the same error message. I try to sell with PayPal from my website.

I tried several credit cards of my own and several clients had the same problem.

I called PayPal in the US (PayPal UK were not able to help much). They tested with my credit cards. One had the problem of being connected to a PayPal account with funds. The other one was fine, they said, but it still produced the error.

I also spoke to technical support, they said my html code was fine, as customers were getting to PayPal.

After talking to several customer support reps one said that it is the Security Model of PayPal that causes the error message (Iäve seen this suggested elsewhere on internet). The issue (in my case) was the amount of the purchase - about 900 pounds.

This is a security risk in PayPal s eyes. This is hard wired into their system as they said. There is no way around it, I cannot state to PayPal that the amount is ok. It would not matter if I get more sales either (not even if they are on eBay, where payments of these amounts do work for me).

The conclusion was that for large amounts I cannot use PayPal on my website. I only sell one type of product so this means that PayPal will not work at all for me. Too bad.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Login to Me Too

AmariKai
Contributor
Contributor

I'm testing my website flow with $0.01 USD for the price of the product.

I got 2 transactions to process for $0.01 USD and now I get the card error.

I'm not sure if the amount matters, since I did process 2 penny transactions.

I'm at a lost and need this to work.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.