How to reject a payment

InTreatment
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal sent me a mail saying "You've got money!". Someone sent me money that I don't want. They didn't want to send me money (they made an error) and I don't want to receive it.

How do I reject this? I don't see any "reject" button. I don't want to click "Issue Refund" because it doesn't make sense for me to be charged a $0.30 fee when I didn't want the money and the sender didn't want to send it to me.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi InTreatment!

I'm glad that you and the sender are communicating to get this resolved. It's much easier in an accidental payment when that is the case!

My suggestion would be to issue a partial refund, and subtract the $0.30 from the total amount. It was the sender's error, and he will likely be willing to pay the small fee that is incurred when funds are moved.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

InTreatment
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia, thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Are there any other alternatives? While the sender might be willing to pay the small $0.30 fee, I don't want to force them to do that. I'd be taking a hit socially with a person I have known a very long time. In other words, would a person really want to ask their father-in-law to take a $0.30 hit? This isn't a buyer/seller relationship.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

I'd just refund the entire amount and tell them PayPal charged me $0.30 for your mistake. 😞

Just leave it like that. No big deal.

In the future, you can change your settings so you don't accept any payment unless it comes with a confirmed address. That might help.

Login to Me Too

InTreatment
Contributor
Contributor

liuchess, thanks for the reply.

I suppose I could refund the entire amount and tell them that PayPal charged me $0.30 for the mistake, but I don't understand why myself or the sender have to be charged $0.30 for the mistake. It seems like a strange way for PayPal to do business where just having a PayPal account means that I'm 'at risk' for $0.30 charges due to mistakes by senders.

I've had my PayPal account 10 years and I'd like to have it another 10 years, but I don't think will be possible if my account will be at risk for charges like this.

Is there any way I can escalate this?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.