How long will it take to receive funds into my paypal account from when the payment is sent?

WTramontana
Contributor
Contributor

I have a slightly unique situation from the other posts I have seen here (and the answers I am finding are not specific enough for my preferences!)

I am a merchant, and also have the paypal mobile app for android installed... I have two questionsL

1)  Regardless how I request money, via "request money", email invoice, etc on paypal - if my buyer is paying me for a SERVICE, not tangible goods, how long will it take for the buyer's payment to process and be available in my paypal account.  I am aware that after the funds are available to me, there is an additonal processing period for having a check sent to me (but I think I'll use my paypal debit card, which is why I want to know, how long from when they press "send" will it take to get routed over)  

Please give me a SPECIFIC number or range of days this should take.  And cover two scenerios:  Buyer pays by ACH/Instant Transfer (echeck), or credit card.

2)  I have never used Paypal Mobile for Android before.  If I type in a phone number to request payment from - how will this request be delivered to the buyer on the other end of the transaction?  Will Paypal send out the standard professional email, or a more casual text message?  I am tech savvy, however my clients are not, and the pay-by-text or pay-by-phone method will not 'fly' with them.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate any information that community members can provide with these questions.  (I have a client that is insistent on paying me by paypal after I rendered computer services, he says he wants the points for the $150 on his credit card .... )

--

Walt

http://helpme.mycertifiedgeek.com

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

WTramontana
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the answer:

I went to my client's home today for payment (and to return their computers) ....

I tried to request money using the paypal mobile app, and my clients paypal email address (to req the money from) ... The link sent to my client was inaccessible and did not work.  She said it wanted her to register and pay by phone (whether this part is true I do not know.)

Sparing you from the details, my client paid me twice.  Once using the Instant Transfer method, and the other with her credit card.  Both times the funds appeared in like two minutes.  I also had to issue her a refund, that seemed to be processed pretty instantaneously too.

To help others I will share:  I am using a merchant account with PayPal, and have not conducted business in over 6 months using the service.  My client uses paypal frequently, and ebays a lot.  I do not know what effect this can have on holds being placed on funds.  I believe that because my client logged in to paypal, and used the "send money" feature, that is why I received the money so quickly.  There was no goods to ship/exchange.  She may have also had the option to select if she was paying for a service (which I could see decreasing the likelihood of a hold being placed).

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

WTramontana
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the answer:

I went to my client's home today for payment (and to return their computers) ....

I tried to request money using the paypal mobile app, and my clients paypal email address (to req the money from) ... The link sent to my client was inaccessible and did not work.  She said it wanted her to register and pay by phone (whether this part is true I do not know.)

Sparing you from the details, my client paid me twice.  Once using the Instant Transfer method, and the other with her credit card.  Both times the funds appeared in like two minutes.  I also had to issue her a refund, that seemed to be processed pretty instantaneously too.

To help others I will share:  I am using a merchant account with PayPal, and have not conducted business in over 6 months using the service.  My client uses paypal frequently, and ebays a lot.  I do not know what effect this can have on holds being placed on funds.  I believe that because my client logged in to paypal, and used the "send money" feature, that is why I received the money so quickly.  There was no goods to ship/exchange.  She may have also had the option to select if she was paying for a service (which I could see decreasing the likelihood of a hold being placed).

Login to Me Too

Watchout
Contributor
Contributor

I would recommend just having your customer's use the Send money option.  It's like a Western Union service. They log into their paypal and it's only one transaction.  This will hopefully save duplicate payments.

If a consumer send's money they can send to either your Paypal email or mobile number.  They do have the option for either Purchase/Personal.  Under purchase tab they then have 3 options. Ebay item, goods or services.  Under the personal tab they have Gift, Payment owed, Living Expense, Cash advance or Other.

I believe when you the seller use the Request Money or Create Invoice, once they receive the invoice it ask them to make payment thru Paypal.

****Kudo's greatly appreciated if you gained anything from my post.  Happy Holidays~!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.