Garage Sale using PayPal??

pcedson
New Community Member

I've got a community garagesale coming up.  I've used paypal to buy stuff on ebay.  That's about all my experience.

There are a few items (furniture) that I'm asking enough that people probably may not have that much cash on hand.  The ATMs may not not be able to dispense that much a day.  I'm really not going to accept personal checks, maybe from the guy across the street, but not a complete stranger.

Has anyone used PayPal in a similar situation?  Garage Sale, Moving Sale, Craigslist, etc?

I've seen info about ebay and websites.  Even asking friends for cash. 

I would like for people to use their paypal account on my laptop so they can pay with their credit card.

Thougths?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

durangod
Contributor
Contributor

yep go  for it, set you up a small html page and put you a donate button on it, then they can pay that way.. or you can visit this link and contact me thru this site be;pw and i can hook you up with some info of how to do it...

check out www.classified.durangodaves.com   if you need help doing the page let me know i can help you..

Login to Me Too

durangod
Contributor
Contributor

and here is another solution, there is a paypal ap for cell phones that people can pay for things right over their cell phone using paypal account, they can log into their paypal account over their cell phone and send you the money that way and they can do it right on site when they are standing there in your driveway... then you can confirm the sale on your computer and let them have the item...

Login to Me Too

direwolf
New Community Member

Smiley Very Happy  How cool is that???? I love pay pal! It allows me to seem professional and intelligent !!!!

Login to Me Too

BadPolicy
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be leery about doing PayPal at a garage sale.  PayPal is currently instituting to many of their smaller customers a "payments hold policy" on all sales.  You can end up having your money held for more than 21 days - until PayPal is satisfied your customer has received their item and isn't going to want a refund.  Even when they've received confirmation of delivery and I've waited the mandatory 3 days for them to finally release my money they didn't.  I had to call repeatedly day after day and got excuse after excuse.  So unless you're currently a PowerSeller, I would recommend you don't go this route with PayPal.  If people aren't going to have enough money to give you cash or a cashier's check to buy their item at your garage sale, tell them you'll take a cash deposit that you'll give them a handwritten receipt for and hold the item for 72 hours.  They don't come back, you keep the cash.

Login to Me Too

greattraveller
Contributor
Contributor

u have to have delivery confirmation to be protected as a seller as per paypal rules. it they file chargeback later you won't be able to prove you shipped that item or buyer has got them. you'll loose money as well as item. i myself lost $135 as well as item and i had shipping receipt etc but not the delivery  confirmation to prove that the buyer got it.

cash is the best way for dealing in person

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.