Craig's List person wants to pay by Paypal - I am concerned....need an answer

carbull
New Community Member

Can someone who buys something from you on Craig's list and paid through Paypal open a case and start a resolution process or is that reserved only for Ebay transactions? 

I am selling my diamond engagement ring - listed it as a "cash only" sale for $2200.00 with stipulation that we meet in a public parking lot with my best friend (who is a Tampa Police Officer) present and on duty to watch as we exchange the cash and the ring.  I am so worried about being scammed - robbed etc...A guy responded to my ad and not knowing I already had one sort of demanded I open a Paypal acct. so he could pay me through Paypal and then he wants me to mail him my ring.  Not sure if he can then cancel the transaction and steal my ring?  Need to know?  Thx - Carlyn

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Your buyer can file a paypal INR or unauthorized use of CC complaint and get their money back.  Or if it's a hijacked paypal account, the real account holder can file a complaint and get their money back.

Best bet is CASH

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

js292
New Community Member

Exact same question I'm looking for a answer too. Some guy wants to send me money to buy my motorcycle sight un-seen

Login to Me Too
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Your buyer can file a paypal INR or unauthorized use of CC complaint and get their money back.  Or if it's a hijacked paypal account, the real account holder can file a complaint and get their money back.

Best bet is CASH

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi carbull,

You're wise to be cautious. Not everyone's a crook, but there are some situations that are riskier than others. You've identified a very risky scenario. Just like you're taking precautions for your physical safety by having someone present for the meeting, you definitely want to make sure precautions are in place for the safety of your funds. 

In a situation where a buyer claims that an item was not received, the seller is required to provide tracking. In a pick-up or hand-off situation, you would be without any means of proving you delivered an item. The answer profdata gave you is exactly right.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

cmueller
New Community Member

hey olivia.

this exact thing just happened to me.i sold a world of warcraft account via paypal and the buyer said they did not recieve the item even though they did. i have no way to prove that i gave her my accurate account information.

am i going to lose my money and my wow account??

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi cmueller,

Unfortunately, that seems likely. You may want to see if Blizzard can do anything to help you retrieve your account. I don't think they can, but it's the avenue I would explore if I were you. Please let us know if that comes to something, as I am sure there are plenty of people in your shoes who would like to know!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PINGU1985
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, i understand your concern.

I'm fairly new to ebay and paypal, but I will try to answer, or at least give you some suggestion/idea to think about.

I have seen on ebay you can set up a private listing....or at least that what it looks like.

This is what I would do...

set up the ad as a private listing on ebay with 'buy it now' option, email the intended buyer with the ebay item number.

make sure to put payment option as go through checkout and paypal only. Make sure the address you will be sending it to is ONLY the address that has been CONFIRMED and Verified for the Buyers account.

Once funds are cleared, I would post it using a fully tracked postage with delivery signature upon delivery so he has to sign for it, forget how much it costs, if this is something very valuable, its worth paying that extra money in postage..

Obviously keep the proof of postage and enter all the tracking details on ebay AND Paypal.

If he makes a dispute or requests refund after he has received it, you should then be covered by ebay and paypal, and they should, i would hope, investigate. You will have all your evidence, etc etc, and if they can't help, then I would report him to the police for Theft and Fraud.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.