Unauthorized (401) message received when making credit card payment via PayPal SDK

nutric
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we managed to complete the credit card payment via PayPal SDK on PayPal Sandbox environment, but once we've switched it to PayPal Live environment, the payment could not get thru, we're receiving HTTP response Unauthorised (401) code from PayPal Live env. We've confirmed that our PayPal Live API credentials (clientId and secret) are being applied, and the mode has been set to "live" as well. May I know what could be the other possibilities of getting (401) code?

<settings>
<add name="mode" value="live"/>
<add name="connectionTimeout" value="360000"/>
<add name="requestRetries" value="1"/>
<add name="clientId" value="[our live credentials]"/>
<add name="clientSecret" value="[out live credentials]"/>
</settings>

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Andre

Hi, the error this time is about the missing "last_name": "YourCustomerLastName".

Also check that your request has the correct objects and fields, you can see example here for reference in case: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/payments/#payment_create_request

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Andre

Hi, the most common cause is that in your request you are passing the "payment_method": "credit_card", that is only reserved to PRO accounts. If your account is not PRO then it will fail. If this is your case then just pass the value "paypal" instead and you will able to process card payments via the GuestCheckout, where available.

If this is not your case then would help to have any correlationID or DebugID you received in the response (only the most recent one) so that I can have a look in the logs.

Login to Me Too

nutric
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, it seems like the 401 Error has gone away after applying "payment_method": "credit_card" but another error surfaced. I've got an 500 Internal Server error but no descriptive message is given in the repsonse.

The Debug ID is : 85c818fa5c34a

Could you please help me check on what is causing this issue ?

And also there are no Debug ID shown in the Live API Dashboard. could you help me check on that as well ?

PaypalNoDebugID.PNG

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Andre

Hi, the error this time is about the missing "last_name": "YourCustomerLastName".

Also check that your request has the correct objects and fields, you can see example here for reference in case: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/payments/#payment_create_request

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.