What does the payment.capture.COMPLETED webhook mean?

sauceman40
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Developer Community,

I'm currently setting up PayPal authorized+captured payments Webhooks here:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api-basics/notifications/webhooks/event-names/#authorized-and-capt...

and wanted to verify what PAYMENT.CAPTURE.COMPLETED event means.

I'm hoping to find a Webhook event that corresponds to money having successfully transferred to our PayPal account, but never saw that stated explicitly anywhere. Is that a safe assumption to be making? Or if not can someone give a more precise explanation of what this event means / if there's a different event we should be listening for?

Asking because our team plans on sending daily payouts w/ Payouts API - and we don't want to find ourselves in a situation where we are paying out users before we have received the funds ourselves.

Thank you,

Andrew

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @sauceman40 

Thanks for your question! The payment.capture.completed webhook would be the best option if you're using the "capture" intent for a transaction. This means that the money has been captured and put into your PayPal account.

If you're using our older "Express Checkout" product and using the "Sale" method, then we would recommend payment.sale.completed.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @sauceman40 

Thanks for your question! The payment.capture.completed webhook would be the best option if you're using the "capture" intent for a transaction. This means that the money has been captured and put into your PayPal account.

If you're using our older "Express Checkout" product and using the "Sale" method, then we would recommend payment.sale.completed.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.