Webhook not working live (webhook event not fired)

nxg56
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

IPN works fine for me, but I don't know why, webhooks don't:

• I have created a REST API app and added webhooks
  • I have enabled it Live (not Sandbox)
  • I have checked that "All events" are registered,
  • Tested my listener script (which is on my server) with the webhook simulator (working)
  • but ... sadly "Live" transactions don't generate any webhook event!
  • so the problem doesn't even come from my listener script, it's Paypal which doesn't fire the webhook event...

What should I do to make webhooks work when a payment has been done?

c2pXL

Also do you use REST API app or NVP/SOAP API app?

lkgYy

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

ishabi
Contributor
Contributor

Same here! Any suggestions please ?

Login to Me Too

MrSpomg
New Community Member

Hey! Did you fix that issue? I am having it too.

Login to Me Too

silk33
Contributor
Contributor

I have a working live integration and I'm having problems with webhooks randomly not firing since some days. Some fire with many hours of delay. I guess it's an issue they need to fix

Login to Me Too

typefox09
Contributor
Contributor

Is there still no response to this? I am experiencing the same issue. I have noticed that if you log into the developer dashboard and go to the live webhook section, you can press resend however this works very rarely (1 in 10 or 20 attempts). Even when the event is fired and you return a status code of 200, the webhook event stays in a status of pending with an explanation mark. In sandbox mode everything works perfectly and reliably however LIVE mode is extremely unreliable. Can we please get an update on when this will be fixed?

Login to Me Too

nxg56
Contributor
Contributor

@typefox09 

After years, I can confirm: it simply does not work.

Long story short: only use IPN, it is very reliable (100% for me).

Login to Me Too

typefox09
Contributor
Contributor

That's ridiculous, how can they make it work properly in the sandbox however can't make it work for a live environment? i just spend over a week integrating webhooks and writing tests on all of it only to hear now they just don't work? Surely there must be an answer for this from one of the biggest payment providers in the world?

Login to Me Too

nxg56
Contributor
Contributor

@typefox09 

I agree it's totally ridiculous...

Please please please if you finally find out a solution, please post a short message here with the solution, it will help many people 🙂

Login to Me Too

typefox09
Contributor
Contributor

Will do. I can't use IPN as it doesn't have as wide a variety of notifications as webhooks. I need notifications for Connect With Paypal as well as for payments and disputes, IPN just does payments?

Login to Me Too

nxg56
Contributor
Contributor

@typefox09 

I wanted to move to Webhooks instead of IPN for the exact same reason than you (have access to disputes, etc.).

I confirm IPN is triggered when there is a new dispute, here is an example:

{"id":"WH-653715235213-283629687368726","event_version":"1.0","create_time":"2020-07-17T00:11:22.300Z","resource_type":"refund","event_type":"PAYMENT.SALE.REFUNDED","summary":"A EUR 100.0 EUR sale payment was refunded", ...

But it's very short, we don't have the description text (customer's reason of the dispute) in this IPN request.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.