Revise a subscription using the Subscriptions API

Georgy1234
Contributor
Contributor

For example, if a customer signs up on May 1 for a £100 plan, she'll be billed £100 immediately. If on May 15 she switches to a £300 plan, then on June 1 she'll be billed £300. How can we additionally charge for half of the previous months?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Georgy1234
Contributor
Contributor

any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

Beym
New Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue, although I am trying to change quantity of a product in a per-seat plan, but the problem is the same - the difference between the price is not charged immediately.

I thought that I could charge the difference by modifying outstanding_balance field in the subscription instance.

But it doesn't seem to work. I tried updating subscription:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/subscriptions/full-integration/subscription-management/#update-sub...

This returns the following message (I am showing only the most relevant fields from the JSON response):

"issue":"AMOUNT_GREATER_THAN_OUTSTANDING_BALANCE"

"description":"The new outstanding balance can not be greater than the current outstanding balance."

And I also tried capturing the amount:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/subscriptions/full-integration/subscription-management/#capture-am...

Which returns:
"issue":"ZERO_OUTSTANDING_BALANCE",
"description":"Current outstanding balance should be greater than zero."

It would be very convenient if I could modify outstanding balance to charge the difference between the plans.

Is there any way to charge the difference between the price plans/quantity change?

Login to Me Too

bloor
Contributor
Contributor

As far as i know and how others did it, and also how the documentation is recommending. For upgrading if u want to start the new PLAN from that point, you will have to charge the difference as a separate payment/transaction .. and after that transaction is succesuful you can use the /subscriptions/{ID}/revise endpoint to upgrade his plan. And the user will get billed for the new plan on same date as previous plan was billed, but with the new price.

For downgrade obviously, you can enable the plan right at that point. But fairplay would be to let the user still enjoy the remaining time on the HIGHER plan  until the next billing date.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.