PayPal Buttons not working on Google Sites

georgew77
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Buttons recently quite working on our Google Sites hosted site.  Has anybody else run into this problem?  And how have you been able to resolve it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DaveM1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, for those still looking for a solution, I've manged to get it working with the "New" Google sites.

Take your button code and stick it in an embed box.....then....

Then edit the first line of code as follows:

Old Code: method="post" target="_top" Replace with: method="post" target="_blank"

Google just doesn't like you overriding their pages with other pages. This will open PayPal in a new tab.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

franD
New Community Member

We are having the same problem. Still trying to figure it out.

Login to Me Too

IdahoBurners
New Community Member

This was intentionally done by Google and for Classic sites there is no workaround. They indicated it was an attempt to stop malicious code executing on sites in HTML boxes. They also claim that there might be a workaround if you update your site from Classic to New. However, some sites cannot be converted and those sites are simply crippled. 

You will see it work just fine in the sites editor. But when you publish, it breaks. Because Google is crippling the code. 

Login to Me Too

georgew77
Contributor
Contributor

I've figured out a solution.  It's not "pretty" but its functioning and that's all that matters until we complete the transition to new Google Sites.  What I've done is paste the PayPal button's code into my webpage's HTML code (at the place in the code where the "busted" PayPal Button current exists) using Google Sites's HTML Editor.  Once in edit mode, the HTML editor is located on the right side of the webpage's toolbar.  Warning: Its tedious.

Login to Me Too

Ktshoemaker
New Community Member
I used Google sites to get away from coding! Thanks for your help.
Login to Me Too

yellobello
Contributor
Contributor

It worked finnally with editing the HTML code directly. Thanks a lot, you saved my day!

Login to Me Too

Ktshoemaker
New Community Member
That's just great. 😞 I was about to launch a site for a class reunion.
Login to Me Too

aart2000
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having the same problem. I updated to the new google site and that's where everything went south. I found the embed code button and replaced all the paypal buttons. They show up, but none of them work. I click on them and nothing happens. Now what? I'm at a complete loss where to go to fix this. I don't know if it's google or paypal. I even created a new button thinking that it's an update thing. Nope, still don't work.

Login to Me Too

steveicarus
Contributor
Contributor

On new google sites, I find that the buttons work if I'm using chrome, but they do not work (they show up but do nothing) on all other browsers. Weird. My workaround is to move the payment page to another hosting service. No way around it:-(

Login to Me Too

oilandspice
Contributor
Contributor

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.