Need help in integrating Paypal API

Sameerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Personally I thought that using PayPal would be as card payment and as in card once that is added. That's it. We can deduct the payment automatically without a user to approve again and again. Checked out the Adaptive payments which are no more and it is not available for new Integrations
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/archive/adaptive-payments/gs-AdaptivePayments/

Then there are Recurring Payment/Subscriptions in Paypal. All is good but there is no way to add multiple subscriptions in one approval. Also, there is no discount that can be given in subscription and the limit of quantity is around 30. Which
does not suffice for our case.

PS: We are trying to integrate Paypal, along with Stripe, but our customers have flexibility in their payment plans.

Need help in integrating Paypal API.

Best, 
Sameer

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Sameerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @angelleye ! 
Thank you so much for clearly explaining this. You are a rockstar! 

I'll go ahead and contact Paypal for the API access! 🙂 

Best, 
Sameer

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Your info here is a bit confusing and unclear. What exactly is your goal for payments on the site in general?

Are people signing up for a subscription, and you want them to be able to choose PayPal or direct credit card options when signing up?

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Sameerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying, @angelleye ! 

We are looking forward to accepting payments via Paypal. Not via credit card integration as we already have that covered via Stripe API. 

We have a subscription-based model having 4 different tiers of pricing, with each having the option to have add-ons added for an extra cost. We occasionally give discount codes/offers to NGO's etc too. 

Personally, I thought that using PayPal would be as card payment and as in card once that is added. That's it.

We can deduct the payment automatically without the user to approve again and again.

Checked out the Adaptive payments which are no more and it is not available for new Integrations
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/archive/adaptive-payments/gs-AdaptivePayments/

Then there are Recurring Payment/Subscriptions in Paypal. All is good but there is no way to add multiple subscriptions in one approval.

What I meant with add multiple subscriptions in one approval is.

If a user wants a plan to let's say, CHAMP Plan which is of, $29 per month, 
plus some addons: 
Extra Team Members per $10 = $30 (opted 3)
Extra Social Profiles per $5 = $15 (opted 3)

All these 3 ie Plan, Addon1 and Addon2 are subscriptions. In Subscriptions use case the subscription will be approved one by one. Which means a user has to do the approval 3 times. This is not suitable for our use case.

Also, the quantity is restricted to around 30 different subscriptions we can create in Paypal. Whereas in our case it can go to a much larger quantity ie +50.

Also, there is no discount that can be given in subscription and the limit of quantity is around 30. This does not suffice for our case.

Any thoughts to get through this? 

PS: Pricing page idea( https://www.socialchamp.io/pricing) Add-ons can be accessed within the app. 

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Okay, well you know that you can get the same exact direct credit card processing experience from PayPal that you get from Stripe?  However, the fees are typically lower, the payment holds are fewer (Stripe holds almost everything for 2 weeks if I remember correctly..??), and then everything would drop into a single account instead of dealing with two separate processing accounts.  This can save time for your bookkeeper.  

The reason this "just works" with credit cards is because those types of processing accounts typically come with "reference transactions" fully accessible as soon as you're approved for the account itself.  This is true of Stripe and also true of PayPal Pro / Braintree, which are PayPal's options for direct card processing like Stripe.

When you're using actual PayPal Wallet, though, where people log in to a PayPal account for payment, there's an extra step involved.  You need to create a "Billing Agreement" that you would keep on file for the buyer, and that Billing Agreement ID is what would be used for future Reference Transactions.  

With direct credit cards, you would just pass the transaction ID from a previous Authorization or Sale transaction into the future Reference Transaction request, and it would work.  With PayPal you need this Billing Agreement ID, showing that the customer fully agreed to give you this access to charge them accordingly in the future.

This gives you a lot of power.  You can charge the customer ANY amount at ANY time.  Even legitimate sellers/developers have caused big problems from this.  Imagine a bug in your software that accidentally loops through the same accounts multiple times, and dings them numerous times in a single run.  Yuck!  I've seen it happen.  

In order to get approved for Billing Agreements / Reference Transactions for PayPal payments, you need to get this specifically approved and activated on your PayPal account.  This can be difficult because of that power that it gives you.  For this you would need to contact PayPal directly and get them to vet you for this approval.

Once approved, you can use the PayPal APIs to build all of this out accordingly.  You would send the user through PayPal for the billing agreement, store their billing agreement ID in their user profile, and then use that ID to process future payments on whatever schedule you need to.  

If you happen to be using WordPress / WooCommerce, then you can look at our PayPal for WooCommerce plugin, which fully supports all of this (assuming it's approved on your account.)

If you're not using WordPress, then of course you can build all of this functionality out into your own checkout flow.  Hope that helps clarify things for you!

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too
Solved

Sameerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @angelleye ! 
Thank you so much for clearly explaining this. You are a rockstar! 

I'll go ahead and contact Paypal for the API access! 🙂 

Best, 
Sameer

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.