Is server-side validation necessary for donations using checkout REST?

TwentyTwenty
Contributor
Contributor

I have been following this page in the documentation to create a PayPal checkout integration for the purpose of allowing visitors to a site to make donations: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/integrate/#6-verify-the-transaction. It seems that the more simple donations buttons cannot be used, as it is a requirement that donations are saved to a database table.

I have so far implemented all of the integration up to some of part 6, which verifies the transaction on the server. The code provided on the page (I am using PHP) is not clear and all of the examples of server side validation that I can find refer to purchases, which do not apply to donations. However, even without this, in sandbox mode the integration appears to work. Would this also work in live mode without server validation? If server validation is necessary, what resources are there that exaplain/demonstrate how to do server-side validation of transactions for simple payments (e.g. donations) that do not involve purchases?

Thank you for reading.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.