Is it possible to execute a payment partially (partially amount) using REST API?

tb_mn
Contributor
Contributor

Hy community,

my question: Is it possible to execute a payment partially (partially amount) using REST API?

Example:

the customer puts 3 items in his shopping cart. 
We authorize all 3 items in a whole transaction (the whole shopping cart).
Now after all, when he clicks "Order" on our Site, 1 item would be charged immediately, the two other should be executed when we confirm it later?

To execute the whole cart works, but how can I execute only partial items?
If it is possible. And what would be the alternatives to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Let me know if there are any questions

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

What you're looking for is Authorization and Capture.  For this you would change the "intent" parameter in your API request to "authorize" or "order" instead of "sale".  

Here is info on setting up an Authorization, which would hold the funds on the buyer's funding source so they're available when you capture (up to a time limit.)  Here is info on an Order, which is similar, but it doesn't do an Auth to hold funds.  It just sets it up so you can capture later.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

What you're looking for is Authorization and Capture.  For this you would change the "intent" parameter in your API request to "authorize" or "order" instead of "sale".  

Here is info on setting up an Authorization, which would hold the funds on the buyer's funding source so they're available when you capture (up to a time limit.)  Here is info on an Order, which is similar, but it doesn't do an Auth to hold funds.  It just sets it up so you can capture later.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

tb_mn
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you, this is what I was looking for! 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.