Invoice Number bug on Recurring Payments

artlytical_dave
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem with recurring payments: I use the invoice # to separate clients, since sometimes payers' email addresses change but the company is the same, so I use the code "AM-CUSTOMER-001", where AM is my company (Artlytical Media), CUSTOMER is a code I use for the customer (like NWO), and the number at the end is the number of the invoice.

When a recurring payment is sent, it sends the same "CUSTOMER" value as the last invoice I sent, NOT the last recurring payment in that series. So my clients are getting invoice numbers with OTHER clients' codes on it, which is unprofessional and incorrect. Can you please fix this bug? I don't know who would want the recurring payment to take the LAST invoice's textual value over the last RECURRING payment's textual value.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

not_here

Hi @artlytical_dave

I'd encourage you to submit a ticket with our Technical support team who can research this issue further and drive this issue with our Product development teams. 

Thanks,
Christina 

Login to Me Too

artlytical_dave
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly the link I was looking for; although I'm bummed there isn't any work-around.  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

FPRJudi
New Community Member

I have a similar issue. The invoice number is the easiest way to know how to code the incoming payments but I seem to only be able to add to the invoice number in a non-recurring invoice. Then once I've added to a non-recurring, it adds the same thing to the recurring invoices. Without this feature, I have to look up every invoice to see what the client is paying for.

Login to Me Too

artlytical_dave
Contributor
Contributor

It's annoying they can't address this but I've found an inelegant work-around.  The solution I've been using is as soon as the invoice is sent, I log in and change the invoice number to what it should be.  My clients get to see the incorrect number, then get an update pretty soon after with the correct number, but at least I can sort my invoices effortlessly.  Also, sometimes, I lose numbers and have to skip over them since there is a bug where if the client pays, the invoice number is set it stone.  I understand why that is the case but if they just fixed the invoice number bug on Recurring Payments, I wouldn't ever have incorrect invoice numbers whether the client pays or not, and they wouldn't ever have the chance to see what other clients I have.

Login to Me Too

not_here

@artlytical_dave can you please submit a ticket here and provide me the ticket number. I'd like to understand the product(s) you're using to research how to fix this problem. 

Thanks,

Christina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.