How to disable free trial on subscription creation?

kenansd
Contributor
Contributor
By default we have created a plan that contains a 7 day free trial. However in some cases we do not want to provide the free trial, for example if the user has already used the free trial during a previous subscription. What is the best way to implement this use case on the creation of a new subscription? The create subscription API, https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/subscriptions/v1/#subscriptions_create provides the ability to override the plan. However in our testing, it was not clear that we could remove a billing_cycle in this way. An alternate solution we are considering is creating two plans, one with a trial and one without, however this adds some additional complexity and maintenance. Is there a way to override a subscription plan to disable or enable the free trial step?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @kenansd 

Unfortunately, it sounds like creating another plan would be your best bet for this scenario. There isn't really a way to "toggle" a trial off for a given plan. In that case, it should just be easier to pass a different plan ID in the creation call.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @kenansd 

Unfortunately, it sounds like creating another plan would be your best bet for this scenario. There isn't really a way to "toggle" a trial off for a given plan. In that case, it should just be easier to pass a different plan ID in the creation call.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

kenansd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @MTS-Aaron Any suggestions for my other posts? It is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.