How to charge first payment with a billing agreement?

GuestPost
Contributor
Contributor

First of all I beg your pardon if I am asking this question at a wrong forum. Please guide me in the right direction.

We are creating a new platform where users could sell their digital products. Now in order to monetise it. We are charging them some fee. Let's say for explaining 5%

In order to achieve that we have tried contacting PayPal for there marketplace API access. But its limited and only available for big organisations. So we looked into other ways.

The best suitable way we found is to sign a billing contract with the sellers on our platform and then charge them on each sale accordingly.

Here's what I've got so far.

1. Create a Billing Plan (POST .../payments/billing-plans/)
  2. Create a Billing Agreement (POST .../payments/billing-agreements/)
  3. Send user to approval_url, user approves, redirected to return URL
  4. Execute agreement (POST .../payments/billing-agreements//agreement-execute)

We are saving billing agreement ID in our database.

Now as you can see on PayPal website what they explain about billing agreement.

What is a Billing Agreement and how does it work?

A Billing Agreement allows a seller to charge your PayPal account when you purchase goods from them or use their service.

An example of this would be an agreement to pay eBay seller fees for listing items on eBay.

Billing Agreements are different from subscriptions. With subscriptions, a fixed amount is charged for a specified period, but with Billing Agreements, the amount and time period aren't fixed.

What I don't understand now is how I can charge my first payment to the customer because there is no API call available to do so?

I was expecting something like this

/payments/billing-agreements/charge/BILLING_AGREEMENT_ID

Please guide me if I am thinking in the wrong direction?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

vished
Contributor
Contributor

Any feedback here?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.