How to apply discount code or coupon on recurring amount of subscription plan

metadesign2017
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am using paypal php rest api.

I want to apply discount code or coupon or overide the recurring amount of plan for diffrent customers or on few of them.

for more clear wanted to add coupon or discount in subscription plan at the time of billing agreement, how would i achieve it as i am not able to find the way please suggest me.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Did you setup a subscription using a billing plan, or are you just using a billing agreement with reference transactions?
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

NG33
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am curious as to this answer as we are doing the same thing. We have subscriptions set up using Billing Plans but customers can use coupon codes for discounts to the plan price.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You would just need to apply the discount and calculate all of the plan pricing details within your card prior to setting it up with PayPal. Not sure exactly where you're stuck..??

Login to Me Too

nsanden
Contributor
Contributor

Seems not possible, WTH?

Login to Me Too

Bobsenoff
Contributor
Contributor

I also could not find anything in paypal documentation.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/payments.billing-plans/v1/

Login to Me Too

Bobsenoff
Contributor
Contributor

So we're using the REST API and writing our own JS to use it vs using a shopping card.  This means if you want to use coupon code you get to code it yourself because the API lends no support in doing this.  The folks in support confirmed this.

Since this is such an incredibly large portion of ecommerce it's difficult to comprehend how something so elementary can be left out causing extra dev to use PayPal which is not required in anyway on a platform like Stripe where it is included...

Login to Me Too

roguewebdesign
Contributor
Contributor

I agree Bobsenoff,

We've been waiting over a year for this to be added. Our customers don't understand why they can add coupon codes to Credit Card subscriptions (Stripe) but not PayPal subscriptions (Billing Agreements).

Let's hope coupon code support is added for Billing Agreements soon.

Login to Me Too

Bobsenoff
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using the REST API you have to code it yourself.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
You aren't comparing apples to apples. If you want to compare to Stripe to a PayPal product you would need to compare it to something like "Enhanced Recurring Payments" or "Braintree Drop-In UI". These are hosted solutions where all of that stuff is built in like you're saying Stripe does for you. PayPal offers that, too.

What you're looking at, though, are the non-hosted solutions. When you're doing direct, custom integration, the whole point is that it's left completely open so that you can build it exactly how YOU need it.

If you want this sort of thing with PayPal, take a look at one of the products I mentioned. There are others, too, but it all depends on exactly what your goals are which specific product you should use.

This is both an advantage and a disadvantage for PayPal. The advantage is they have a vast array of products / services that give you WAY more freedom and flexibility than other systems like Stripe. All of that flexibility, though, and that vast array of products causes confusion for people.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.