How can my app learn that a user has canceled their subscription through Paypal's UI?

jmoriarty
New Community Member

I think I'm not fully understanding how Subscriptions work with my Rails app. When users sign up for an account on my app, we create a new subscription for them. I understand then how to allow them to update or cancel their subscription through my app. But if they have a Paypal account, can't they also cancel their subscription through Paypal? If they do that, how does my app know about it?

It seems like I would need to make my app try to bill their payment account on its regular interval, and then if they've cancelled through Paypal that payment will just fail. Is that right?

But does that mean that the regular billing attempts are something that my app initiates? I thought part of the point was that Paypal automated the regular billing once the subscription was activated. Any guidance appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

jmoriarty
New Community Member

Oh - phrasing this question helped me learn about webhooks, which is the obvious answer. I'd delete the question but I don't see that option...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.