Failed transactions using PayPal Payments API

KevN2
Contributor
Contributor

Over the past few days we are experiencing constant failed transactions from customers when they enter their card details on our website using the PayPal Direct Payments intergration. Asfter a customer enters their card details and submits their credentials through 3D Secure they are presented with a blank screen or error message. We also notice on Status Gator that the below components are currently down for PayPal. Anyone else having the same issues taking payments from customers using Direct Payments API intergration?

Affected Components

REST APIs - Sale

REST APIs

REST APIs - Captures

REST APIs - Orders

SOAP & NVP APIs - Express Checkout APIs

REST APIs - Payments

REST APIs - Authorizations

SOAP & NVP APIs

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Good day @KevN2,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal community.

Could you please confirm whether your still facing issue processing payments via PayPal. 

As per latest logs, PayPal internal services are active and working fine without any issues.

https://www.paypal-status.com/history/production

I would suggest to process a test payment via card which is not linked to your PayPal account. Since, merchant can't process self payments.

If your still facing issues, please create a MTS ticket via -  https://www.paypal-support.com/s/?language=en_US with the detail information and error details.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

PayPal/Braintree MTS

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

KevN2
Contributor
Contributor

We have already contacted Merchant Support and provided them with screen recordings of the failed transactions. They have recognised a problem within the UK on mobiles, desktops and laptops for most browsers. Customers using a mobile to checkout through the Direct Payments API enter their card details and after submitting are redirected back to the PayPal login page even though their card is not linked to PayPal. Customers using Desktops and Laptops receive a warning symbol after submitting their card details and rediverted back to the cart to enter their card details again. This is very frustrating as we are experiencing multiple failed orders due to an issue with PayPal. We have not been given a lead time when these issues will be resolved.

Login to Me Too

KevN2
Contributor
Contributor

This is the response received from PayPal technical support to the existing problem processing card payments using the Direct Payments API integration.  They have acknowledged there is a current issue processing card payments. This really is not good enough. We are experiencing a high level of failed transactions daily. We are now looking elsewhere for card processing companies as PayPal's service has dropped dramatically in recent months:

Hi,

Not as of yet. But I can assure you that as this is a wider-spread issue in the UK specifically that we have a number of eyes on this and are consistently requesting tangible updates. Once I do have something to share, I will be certain to get back with you right away. 

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Carlos
Global Technical Support
PayPal

Login to Me Too

Damian0612
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing the exact same problem - reported to Paypal 2 days ago and still awaiting a reply with us missing out on daily sales ... now looking at alternative card processing companies given the lack of a response to the problem as I am still awaiting a reply from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Damian0612
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get a reply from PayPal on this issue?

Login to Me Too

KevN2
Contributor
Contributor
No update from PayPal. It has been more than 3 weeks and we are still experiencing failed transactions daily. We are currently losing thousands of pounds each week. This is not acceptable and we should be compensated for this loss. Absolutely shocking service by PayPal
Login to Me Too

KevN2
Contributor
Contributor

I notice on PayPal Status Updates page there is a scheduled maintenance to be carried out on the 24th of Feb 2023 as per below. I have yet to receive any update from PayPal, i wonder if the below maintenance will resolve the issues that we are all facing?

Scheduled Maintenance

• Initial Notification: PayPal Live Site Maintenance (PP-LIVE-65161)
    Maintenance Start: Feb 24, 02:00 UTCMaintenance End: Feb 24, 05:45 UTC

Affected Products:

• Online Checkout
    • Retail Checkout > Mobile In-Store, PayPal Here
    • Homepage > PayPal

Initial Notification:

Maintenance Window: Thursday February 23 from 8 pm PT to 11:45 pm PT

During the maintenance window there will be up to 3 minutes of 100% service unavailability resulting in the following impact:

• Higher than normal transaction declines
    • Merchants may encounter an increased number of "10001 - Internal Error" and/or "520002 - Internal Error" responses for API calls
    • PayPal users may also experience errors accessing the PayPal website (https://www.paypal.com) and/or the PayPal checkout flows.
    • PayPal REST APIs may result in HTTP 500 errors
    • PayPal Here, Point of Sale, and Mobile In-Store payments may not complete
    • Merchant's Store may not be available in the PayPal Consumer App
    • Partners can also expect 100% impact for up to 3 minutes
Login to Me Too

Youngship
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am experience the same issue. And seems to be widespread, as the workaround of issuing direct invoices from PayPal directly and have our clients pay from that is not working either. 

Login to Me Too

Scarboroughs
New Community Member

Hi, we've been suffering the same issues since earlier in the year.  Sadly, after losing a number of returning customers this week alone, I have to do something about the problem.  Business owners (in general, but not exclusively) appear to have issues processing their card payments through the gateway.  It's not about passing through security, most of our customers are savvy on OTP codes/authorisation in apps etc.

Was there ever a fix provided by PayPal that I could apply to my shop?  I'm not getting anywhere contacting them direct.  We use an EKM platform and I've explored thoroughly with them all the issues, and they're unable to assist.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.