Does payouts require funds?

alonsn
Contributor
Contributor

In order to make payouts from a business account and given a bank linked to that account, do we must to have funds? Or will money be withdrawn from the linked account automatically?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

pgpal20
Contributor
Contributor

We had this problem this week -- our webapp is supposed to pay recipients via the REST API using venmo (mobile) , and we had both a linked bank account AND backup primary card, but no one could get paid; the error code returned was: 

{"name":"INSUFFICIENT_FUNDS","message":"Sender does not have sufficient funds. Please add funds and retry.","debug_id":"redacted","information_link":"https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/payments.payouts-batch/#errors","links":[]}

So, evidently, you need to have a "Paypal balance" all the time for your webapp to make payments. 

So, we initiated a transfer from the bank account which will take up to 5 days, meanwhile users are waiting to get paid. ouch
This was never made clear in any documentation we could find... the payout service does NOT pull from a bank account in real time. 

Login to Me Too

MTS_Chiranjeevi

Hi @alonsn,

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, you can't process payouts with linked bank accounts / cards.

Yes, you should have sufficient PayPal balance in your business PayPal account to process payouts. 

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Chiranjeevi

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.