Do PayPal Billing Plans automatically bill on future cycles when auto_bill_amount=NO

steven___
New Community Member

I'm looking to setup subscriptions, but I don't understand what the expected behavior for follow up billing cycle when the `merchant_preferences.auto_bill_amount` attribute is `NO`.

Is setting `auto_bill_amount=YES` a pre-requisite to automatically billing on future cycles, or is it only required for billing any outstanding balance?

Asked another way, if I have a monthly plan with `auto_bill_amount=NO`, will the PayPal user be charged by PayPal on the second cycle without any actions from my application?

----

I've read the documentation around it and know that Billing Plans include [`merchant_preferences`][1] which has an `auto_bill_amount` option which is defined as:

> Indicates whether PayPal automatically bills the outstanding balance
> in the next billing cycle. The outstanding balance is the total amount
> of any previously failed scheduled payments. Value is:
>
> + NO. PayPal does not automatically bill the customer the outstanding balance.
> + YES. PayPal automatically bills the customer the outstanding balance.
>
> Possible values: YES, NO.
>
> Default: NO.

[1]: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api/payments.billing-plans/v1/#definition-merchant_preferences

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.